Friday, August 16, 2019

Round and Round and Round She Goes

Image result for roundabouts in marquette

Traffic in this town has always been a bit sketchy. Summer brings tourists who haven't a clue as to how to drive on non-interstate/freeway roads. WE know how to drive in our towns and even though it might not be a familiar thing to city folks. And then we get the college students in the fall...better NOT dwell on their driving. Just as they are getting used to how to drive here, the snow starts falling and we are faced with a whole other set of problems. The students have to learn how to drive in the snow and the locals have to remember that snow covered roads can be dangerous! If one can, it is best to stay at home after the first couple of snowfalls, until everyone is used to driving in the snow. 😄

One of the biggest issues in our town, when it comes to traffic, is how to keeps things moving smoothly and safely. The north/south high-traffic corridors run through, mainly, residential areas, so there are numerous cross streets. This means there need to be stop signs, usually for the traffic coming onto the busier road. So, stop signs were put up. That didn't solve whatever issue was present, so MORE stop signs were placed and we had A LOT of four-way stops. When THAT didn't solve problems, then traffic lights were installed and some intersections even got left turn signals. We'll, the powers-that-be decided this wasn't going to work, either...

About five years ago, it was decided to put in a roundabout where the bypass connects the road that leads out of town and the downtown area. What was there was a little bit of a mess, but it was OUR mess and we were used to it. The roundabout actually is too small for this area...the snowplow drivers and big rig drivers are not happy, but it stays. And what do the officials decide to do then? Why build MORE roundabouts, that's what! We now have (or will have...construction is ongoing) somewhere around ten roundabouts (give or take a couple) in the greater area. There are at least two on the highway right in front of the new hospital (and to make it even better, there is one in the parking lot!) and they are constructing two (three?) on the business corridor coming into town. For good measure, there are three or more scattered throughout the town. Fun times!!! I don't particularly LIKE to drive, so having to learn something so foreign at this late date is not what I look forward to. ACK!

Today, I decided to conquer the roundabouts! I had business to take care of around town and decided to do it on my own, instead of relying on The Youngest. To get where I was going, quickly and easily, required me to go through THREE roundabouts...and I DID IT! I may be proud of myself (which I am) but it doesn't mean that I will be zipping through these things on a regular basis. I will continue to try and find the easiest, least traffic-laden route to get to where I'm going, even if it means a longer trip. But, I now know I can do the roundabouts if I really must. A nice, feel-good accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...