Thursday, February 18, 2016

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream



The day after I turned forty, my body fell apart.  I gained 30 pounds overnight, my joints began to ache, and I started to make 'old person noises' whenever I got up from a sitting position.  And every 10 years since, it has gotten worse.  One of the worse problems I have faced with my getting older is the inability to get a good night's sleep.  Yes, I wake up to head to the bathroom several times at night, but it is the trouble trying to find a comfortable position in bed that is the most annoying.  And this is where I segue into this post...

When we were getting ready to move into this house, one of the 'must haves' that I insisted on was a new bed...a KING-SIZED bed.  We never had a room big enough to have a king-sized bed before and I couldn't think of anything more luxurious for our new home.  So, we went shopping.

I haven't slept well for years, so about 5 years ago we went shopping for a new mattress and settled on an expensive model.  I figured you get what you pay for and had always heard that a firmer mattress was what a person should sleep on.  We paid the price and had the thing delivered...and hated pretty much every minute we slept on the thing.  It got to the point where The Husband was sleeping on the sofa and I was in the recliner as much as in bed.  So, when we went to buy our new mattress, we decided to get the cheapest, well-made one we could find.  And then we met Frank, a man who had been in the mattress business for over 30 years.  He began making mattresses, then he supervised mattresses being made, and then he moved into selling mattresses in his senior years.  He talked a good talk and before we knew it, we were on the 'computerized mattress' being 'measured' for the best match for us.  He led us to different beds to 'try out' and left us there.  Both of us were very comfortable and after trying a few more mattresses, decided on the first one we tried.  The mattress cost about as much as we paid for our first car. =8-0

Our bed was delivered shortly after we moved into the house.  And then came the 'break-in period.'  We were told that it would take close to four weeks for our bodies to get used to the new, improved, and perfect-for-our-bodies mattress.  They certainly weren't wrong about getting used to the new bed.  Some mornings I got out of bed feeling as if I was beat with a baseball bat!  But things improved...to a certain extent.  My old body is turning against me once again and it isn't letting me get good sleep.  The conclusion I have come up with is that I haven't found the right pillow.  So, I will be shopping, again.

I pretty much think that a good night's sleep is something I will never have again.  While getting older has its perks*, there are many not so good things.  I try to focus on the good and not the bad.  Why not?  Just think of the alternative.


*Perks of getting older:  no periods, no teenagers, retirement, no schedules, being an 'elder' and being able to speak your own mind...are just a few of the good things!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...