Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Being Equal



I know that this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but that is what it is...MY OPINION.

Every day/week/month we have another day/week/month for a special group.  Usually, this involves a lot of pissing and moaning about how this group is not equal.  The thing is, EACH group is 'not equal' to a different group.  My profile makes me 'not equal' to some others, just as most--if not all--of us, in one way or another.  The biggest difference between me and some of these other 'unequals' is this:  I don't demand to be equal.  I am what I am, the world is the way it is, and it is up to me to do something about my situation if I want it to change.  And that 'something' ISN'T DEMANDING special treatment.

At one time, if someone wanted to make something of him/herself, all that person needed to do was work to make it happen.  That opportunity hasn't disappeared...people just find it much easier to be handed things rather than work for them.  When I was younger, I thought I wanted to be a doctor.  For me, it would have been extremely difficult to achieve.  I am female, I am only a 2nd generation American, my parents were neither wealthy or influential, and I grew up and lived in a very rural area.  No one in my family ever went to college, so I had no guide to how or what to do to get there.  I knew virtually nothing about college life or living in a city.  It was almost impossible for me to become what I wanted.  ALMOST impossible, but there would have been a way.  I could have sought out someone who had already been to college and find out what I needed to do to get there.  I could have worked harder in school and been awarded scholarships to attend school.  I could have done everything in my power to make my dream a reality, if I would have worked at it.  And if I had wanted it enough, I KNOW it would have happened.  I just didn't want it enough.  THAT is what is wrong with the people who scream 'inequality.'

Any one of us can do a Google search and find examples of people from repressed, unequal groups who have achieved greatness.  The difference between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is that one group is willing to work for what they want and the other wants to cry about not being given opportunities.  One group is to be admired.  I'll let you guess which one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...