Monday, February 21, 2005

Political Chaos--But Lots of Fun

Once again I heard a politician give an opinion and hastily explain it is only a PERSONAL opinion--it has NOTHING to do with how s/he will govern. This is just another example of trying to please everyone, all the time. Am I supposed to be happy that elected officials believe as I do, but have them do just the opposite because it's the "law"? I want to be able to vote for someone and have them represent me as I would like. For example: Suppose I was against the 55 mph speed limit and I wanted to elect someone that would try to change it back to 65 mph. I DEFINITELY don't want to hear this person agree with me and then throw up his/her hands and say there is nothing that can be done because 55 is the law. Isn't this one reason we elect the people we do, so they will help run this country the way we would like and try to change things we would like changed?

I would love it if politicians told the truth--wouldn't everyone? But, they are not able to and it is the fault of the electorate. We won't elect someone who tells the truth if we don't like the truth. We need higher taxes--don't say it! We need the death penalty--don't say it! We need to outlaw abortion--don't say it! We need to legalize gay marriage--don't say it! I realize it would be absolute chaos, but it would be nice to have politicians who would truly vow to represent the people voting for them. We would have extreme liberals, fanatic conservatives, skinheads, black-power advocates, etc., etc., all trying for their own little niche--and a true democracy will emerge when the one with the most votes gets elected. I know this is totally naive and simplistic and could never work, but it would be fun to see it happen one time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...