Thursday, August 19, 2010

Updating My Life

Yesterday, K and I got letters from our internist saying that he will be leaving his practice to pursue other professional interests.  I don't really know what this means other than I will now be looking for my THIRD doctor in a year.

I don't know if everyone remembers, but my gynecologist retired a year ago.  I decided on a new doctor, who left before I even got a chance to see her.  A few months after that, the practice closed down and I was back to having to find a new GYN.  So far, I hadn't made any decision about where I would go and now I need to get ANOTHER doctor.

Last night I did research and came up with two doctors that I was calling to find out if either of them would take me as a patient.  I wanted to go back to the office my "current" doctor used to be in and that is where these two women are.  When I called today, I was told one of them will no longer BE in that office--don't have a clue WHERE she is going--and the other one is not taking new patients.  I have decided that I want to go to a woman and see how that works out, but we are limited in the number of women doctors we have here.  When I had no luck with the first two women I tried, I had to go back to the office I have been going to for the last year+.  I called and asked if one of the women--of which there are only two--would take me on as a patient.  And the answer I got?  The doctor will be asked whether she wants me or not and then I will be called to schedule an appointment.  And if she refuses, I'm getting very close to being out of luck if I want a woman physician.  One good thing out of all of this is that I will just combine my gynecological needs with my general medical--one doctor instead of two.  It should make my life a bit simpler.

We are hoping that K will have better luck, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.  He will ask his nephrologist if he will become his primary care physician, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that this pans out.  If this is a no-go, I don't have a clue what we will do.  All I know is that there is next to no chance that we will be sharing the same doctor anymore.

**********

Today we had to bring the cat in to see the vet--it had been too long since she had a check-up and she needed her rabies vaccine updated.  While everything looked pretty good, the vet said we are probably looking at some 'senior' issues with her.  And at the age of 17, is that really a surprise?  She has lost three pound since the last time being seen and she has a heart murmur, so the doctor wants to do a follow-up in a month.  This will be for a weight check and blood work.  If everything checks out, good.  Otherwise, we may be facing diabetes, thyroid issues, kidney failure, etc, etc.  While I discussed her end-of-life, it seems as if we will need to find out if or what is wrong before making any decisions about what to do.  I basically added a DNR to her chart and told the doctor I won't do anything to make her uncomfortable in any way--so I will make the decision to euthanize her if the need arises.  I love my cat dearly, but I won't spend thousands of dollars--and possibly make her have to endure any discomfort--and wind up having to put her down because nothing worked.  I think that would just be cruel.  Funny thing, I never thought I would be put in this situation--I always thought she would just die in her sleep or get sick quickly and have the decision to euthanize be made for me.  Right now, it doesn't look as if this is going to be anything easy.

**********

The state fair started yesterday and we won't be able to go this year.  We usually go on Wednesday, but I had made the vet appointment without checking on the fair schedule.  And K starts night shift tomorrow and works through Sunday--the day the fair ends.  Oh well, I guess we'll have to go next year.

**********

We are now 50 days away from the Red Wings first game of this season.  And the first pre-season game is in about a month.  That means that training camp begins in less than a month.  And it won't be long now till my Baby Boy steps foot on North American soil again.  I haven't felt any change in the status quo of the earth, so I guess he isn't here yet.  But, it won't be long now--and I have convinced myself that I WILL 'feel' it the moment he is in the US.  ;)




2 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

* Good luck finding yet ANOTHER doctor. What a nightmare already!

*I sure hope your cat is doing okay? It must have been sad for you to add the DNR to her chart.

* sorry you can't go to the state fair. I know you were looking forward to eating some fried goodness!

*Hooray! Only 50 more days till your beloved Hockey starts!

cmk said...

Well, for now anyway, I DID get a doctor in the office my internist is leaving--I sure hope we 'connect.' I won't see her till January, so I have tooooo long to think about this. :(

The cat really wasn't herself for a couple of days after the vet visit, but she seems to have gotten over it. I'm afraid we'll be seeing more and more of her 'not being herself' in the coming years.

I CANNOT believe I didn't check when the fair was! TOTALLY a bummer.

Every day I look at my countdown calendar and can't believe the time is almost here! We are down to 48 days now! :D