Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Favorite Recipe

Everyone has a favorite food that MUST be prepared for the holidays.  Whenever we serve ham, this is something that I have to make to go with it--and I believe there would be a total rebellion if I ever forgot.  This was my m-i-l's recipe and I have--without guilt--appropriated it as my own.

MUSTARD SAUCE
(you can 1/2 this recipe and it works out just fine)

1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 can tomato soup (I ALWAYS use Campbell's)
1 cup mustard
6 egg yolks

Cook--stirring with a wire whisk--until thickened, using a double boiler.  When cooked thoroughly, remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup butter.  Store in covered container in refrigerator.  Serve warm or cold.


Many people don't know what to do with this sauce when they first see it--and a lot will never make it without tasting it first.  To explain this the best I can is that this is a sort of sweet-and-sour type of sauce.  As I said, we use it as a topping for ham, but many people use it other ways.  This can be used in sandwiches--ham or otherwise--and as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers, for example.  I will dip pretzels in this sauce, also.  There is an unlimited amount of ways this sauce can be used--try it and see if you like it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...