Monday, September 20, 2004

Cat

Just finished feeding the cat--and considering she weighs about 15 pounds, that is no little task! Actually, she gets fed only once a day, so her weight can only be attributed to: 1) she comes from a family of big cats (brother weighs 20+ pounds), 2) she has a lot of very heavy fur, 3) she has been weight training--and we all know muscle weighs more than fat! The real reason, though, is that she is a cat couch potato. Her only reason for breathing is so she can eat, sleep, use the litter, and run through the house, once a day, like the hounds of hell are after her. Considering she sheds a pound of fur every day and hacks up fur balls on a regular basis, it isn't always easy to understand why she still takes up space in our home. Even though she isn't always a joy to have around, we still love her. We have had her for over ten years and consider her a member of the family. As she has gotten older, she is actually becoming more of a people cat--she will stay with us most of the time we are awake. She vocalizes more than she ever did and will come to be pet. She still isn't a lap baby, but with her weight that probably is a good thing.

Anyway, back to my original idea for writing. Most of the time I try to feed the cat on the sly--if she is in the kitchen when I do the job of feeding her, she is always in the way. It doesn't matter which way I turn, where I walk, how I move, she is ALWAYS under my feet. One of these days I am not going to notice her (not easy to not notice a 15 pound cat) and will trip, fall, and break my leg. Hopefully I won't fall on her because then, surely, she will be dead. So, I try to wash, dry, fill, and place her food and water dishes without her in the room. And this is something I can't accomplish. I only wish I had the hearing ability she does--I could have a brass band playing "76 Trombones" as loudly as possible and she would hear me lift her dishes off of the floor and come running. It is truly amazing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...