Thursday, September 23, 2004

Politics

Today I went out to run errands I have been putting off: mailing a package, bringing "stuff" to the women's center, going to the pet store for cat food, etc. This would have been just normal, boring tasks except for the political discussion at one of the businesses. Nothing new or out of the ordinary was said--we all have heard it all before--it's just the fact it was said in a place of business that rather startled me. It's been said you should never discuss religion or politics, because people are so passionate about their beliefs in either subject, and hard feelings can occur. Hearing this business person speak, AND in such a way that I am POSITIVE this person is a conservative and will be voting as such, was something I don't recall ever having experienced before. Interesting.

The other thing that I found fascinating was the age of the person in question: younger than me. As a member of the "sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll" generation, I don't see many of my age group as particularly conservative in their views. I always thought of conservatives as the "older folks" and it always surprises me to find someone my age or younger as a staunch conservative/Republican. If the "younger generation" is becoming more conservative in their politics, could more conservative morality be far behind? I really don't hold out much hope for the morality issue. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...