Saturday, September 11, 2004

Playing Catch-up

Last weekend I realized that I pretty much know how I will die. I will perish in a car accident: that is why I sleep whenever we travel. Now, I don't just take naps, I am asleep by the time we get to the stop sign at the end of our street and I wake up when K. nudges me as we get within two blocks of our destination. I have often wondered why I do this and it became clear to me that I don't want to see my death approaching. Increasingly over the years, I have become more nervous by the way K. drives: too fast, passes too often, etc. He doesn't drive foolishly or recklessly, it is just that as I get older I feel as if slow and steady is the safest way to get anywhere. If I am awake, I find myself "putting on the brakes," gasping, cringing, and just making an annoyance of myself, so I sleep. One day in the (hopefully, distant) future, I will wake up outside the "gates" and know we were in a car accident--even before St. Peter tells me.


Some questions came to mind during last weekends wedding festivities:

1) Is it proper to ask the bride when the baby is due? When, exactly, is an appropriate time to do this? Obviously, it is not good to ask while in the receiving line after the wedding. (And this applies only to unmistakably pregnant brides.)

2) Is it actually proper to have the baby ultrasound pictures at the rehearsal dinner?

3) Do baby items really make a proper or appropriate wedding gift?

I guess I will just have to write and ask Miss Manners.


Watched Joey the other night and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. I never was a fan of Friends, but I always liked the Joey character, so I had hopes for the new show. I found myself chuckling over 50%+ of the jokes--sometimes right out loud. They still have some fixing-up to do with it, but there is a good chance this show could be a hit. The next door neighbor/married woman character was rather lame--they have to come up with something more than having her show up every-so-often. And the character of Joey's agent is just BAD. I don't know if it is the way the character is written, or the actress who plays her, but I found it painful to even look at the screen while she was on. The actress looked like she was suffering from collagen/Botox overload and as if she was reading cue cards instead of acting. She didn't look at Joey while talking to him--just looked like a news-anchor reading the teleprompter, and doing that badly.

Don't know yet how I will feel about this year's The Apprentice. I am just more than a bit tired of Donald Trump patting himself on the back, tooting his own horn, bragging himself up, etc., etc. Hopefully the candidates won't be "playing to the camera" and will just be their selves (themselves?), otherwise I won't watch too many episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...