Sunday, March 23, 2008

Being a Little Pissy

Since becoming empty-nesters, I don't cook nearly as much as I used to. I guess I should feel guilty for not cooking meals more often, but I don't. And I have a perfectly good explanation for this.

K worked today, so he didn't get home until after 6:00 PM. I figured, seeing as it was Easter, I should make a meal--I was finishing up when he came home. I have never been one to have a meal ready to be served as soon as he walked in the door--that was The Mother's shtick, not mine. Besides, he has always liked to 'put his feet up' for a while after getting home. (Read that as 'fall asleep.') No problem--at least this way, the food will be hot when we sit down to eat. As long as the meal is served within one hour of him getting home, I feel as if I've done my job well. Tonight, I had the food ready about a half hour after he got home--not too long to wait at all. When everything was done, I called to him in the living room and said the food was ready. He answered me and said he was coming. I heard no movement from the other room, so I sat down and ate--by myself. When he FINALLY made his way into the kitchen, I was just finishing up my meal. Once again, I ate alone. Hell, if I have to eat by myself, I might as well eat pizza or a sandwich! I find it much too annoying to prepare a meal and have it be too much trouble for him to come and eat when it is ready. This just was not cool on his part. I'm not sure when I will take the time to cook again. (This is DEFINITELY not the first time this has happened--it happens much too often.)

It wasn't enough that K pulled his 'can't be bothered to eat when it is ready' crap. After he finished with his meal, he then went back into the living room and went to sleep--again. And he stayed there until 10:00. He then got up, went into the kitchen for something, and went to the bedroom to go to sleep for the night. We said about three words to each other from the time he came home from work till he went to bed. Life just doesn't get any better than this. I know there is an outage beginning, so I suppose he is getting himself in overtime mode. Yippee. It looks as if I am heading into one of my 'living as if I'm single without being allowed to date' cycles. I better start looking for things to do on my own--I will be spending a lot of time alone. Good thing I don't mind my own company.

Grrrr

9 comments:

  1. I think a road trip to Hudson WI sounds really good right about now. I promise you won't have to eat alone.
    Sorry about your rotten day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Does K have sleep apnea? He might not be getting enough restful sleep at night. I don't think it's normal for a person to sleep that much unless they've been up for 24 hours. My brother is like that, and my dad used to nap when he wasn't working or in bed sleeping. You're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:08 PM

    well, thats sucks after you put in all that effort that wasn't even appreciated.

    But...I know that I would prefer a husband that wasnt all up in my face. I love my alone time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan: No, he's been tested and they say he is fine. I was so SURE he had sleep apnea...

    Mel: He DID say the meal was good, but still... And I DO love my alone time--just not quite as much as I get at times. :)

    Kristi: You can be sure I'd seek you out as a dinner companion if I was closer! :)

    K has ALWAYS had strange sleeping habits. He can fall asleep as soon as his eyes close, sleep for 15 minutes, and then wake up refreshed. That is something I could NEVER do--when I wake up for the day, I stay up. I rarely take naps.

    Another thing that doesn't help his sleep is his work schedule. On days that he DOES work, he works 12 hours. At the most, he will work four days in a row--this happens twice in a 28 day rotation--and then he will have time off. Out of 28 days, he works 14 and is off 14. It IS enough to throw anyone's sleep cycle off. It just frustrates me at different times. Yesterday was one of those times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're hilarious. missed reading you. belated happy Easter btw. sorry I've been MIA, tech problems, but am back in the saddle again as they say

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back, Doug. Hope your holiday was good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:29 PM

    It hasn't happened often but occasionally I have had dinner ready and my husband not get home in a timely manner so I went ahead and ate. I hate eating alone! CALL ME if you are going to be late! Have you spoken to K about getting to the table on time? Maybe he isn't aware of your needs. Sometimes men are unbelievably dense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like K has the same schedule as John. 12 hr days, 7 out of 14.

    ReplyDelete
  9. leazwell: Sleep has been a hot button for us from the beginning. I always have thought he sleeps too much. He never has accepted that I don't get enough--he figures I am at home so getting enough sleep shouldn't be a problem for me. I don't see us changing any time soon--after all, we have been doing this for over 30 years! Hey, it works and I get over my pissiness fairly quickly, so I guess we'll just continue on. :)

    kristi: I do like the schedule--the time off is great! K did work a 'normal' schedule for a while and I really missed his having days off during the week. I guess you learn to get used to anything. And it doesn't hurt that he works two different shifts--I don't know if I would like it so much if he was JUST on nights or days.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...