Friday, March 14, 2008

Notes

Yesterday we did an out-of-town day-run to shop. The weather was fine, so travel was good--we made good time both ways. While I didn't have any pressing shopping needs, I managed to get a few things I wanted. Among my purchases were the first two 'Dexter' books--the ones the Showtime series is based on. I have been watching the 'cleaned up' version on CBS on Sunday nights and have been enjoying it quite a bit. However, I'm not sure I could actually watch the Showtime version--might be a bit too graphic for me.

DSW had the new spring shoes in and I walked out without buying a single pair. I know I would have broke our bank account if I had known what I wanted, but I had no clue. And I couldn't let myself buy shoes JUST to buy shoes. I've done that too often recently and have to stop. :)

**********

We ended our shopping trip at Sam's Club, as usual. I have always thought that I don't really enjoy shopping, but I realized at Sam's that that is NOT the case. What I don't like are other shoppers! Anyone who has ever been to Sam's knows how wide the aisles are--you could practically drive a Hummer down one and STILL have space on both sides! So how rude is it when other shoppers completely block the right-of-way for others--not to mention it is a very hard thing to do. There was a couple in one aisle. They had positioned their cart in a way that NO ONE could get around it. Then they took up the rest of the aisle to have a discussion about the peanuts on the shelf. Excuse me!?!?!? Whenever I'm faced with this situation, I try to be patient and wait till I can make eye-contact with the person/people blocking the way before saying 'excuse me.' Of course, these two didn't acknowledge that another human being was within 100 miles of them, so I waited...and waited...and waited. When they FINALLY moved, I started to squeeze pass them and they had the NERVE to give ME a dirty look! As I said, I hate the shoppers, not the shopping. GRRRRRR!!!!!!

**********

The other thing that really got on my nerves at Sam's was the check-outs. First, they didn't have nearly as many open as they should have--every open one had at least FOUR people in line waiting to be checked-out. Then we made the wrong decision and picked the check-out with the slllooowwweeesssttt clerk in the world. I swear, instead of coffee for breakfast, this woman drank a cup of tranquilizers! Watching her do her job was like watching a movie in slow motion. Unbelievable.

**********

This may be one of those 'Why do I need to know this?' things, but here goes: Memory Foam pillows freeze. And when I say freeze, I mean they become hard as a block of ice if they are cold enough. How do I know? Well, I bought a Memory Foam pillow because I thought it might do good for me. (I have pillow issues.) I found I couldn't sleep on the thing, so I use it as a lap desk whenever we travel--it is comfortable on my lap, doesn't weigh too much, and it is quite firm. When we stay overnight, I don't take the pillow into the hotel with us, I just leave it in the vehicle. The last time we stayed overnight on one of our trips, was about a month ago--still cold, winter weather in our part of the country. When we got into the vehicle the morning after our stay, the pillow was hard as a rock. I thought for sure the thing was ruined, but as it warmed up, it soften again. Quite interesting.

**********

Okay, so we don't have HUGE news days here, but this is big news for us. The DNR has admitted that some tracks they found here in the UP are probably cougar footprints. For years people have brought evidence of all kinds to the attention of the DNR and the existence of cougars here has been dismissed. Some people think the reason is that if it is determined that they actually do exist here, it will cost the DNR a bundle of money because cougars would be an endangered species. I can't understand how good the evidence must be for them to have to finally admit we have cougars. It will be fun to follow this story.

**********

The Wings got it done tonight. They won their fifth in a row and met a bunch of milestones in the process. With the win tonight, they became the first team in the league to be assured of a playoff spot. They tied the league record of having eight straight 100-point seasons. They won the Central Division title for the seventh year in a row. This is also the 17th year in a row they have qualified for the playoffs--the longest streak for ANY pro-sports team. They are now undefeated for the month of March. Good going.

Datsyuk is still on a roll--he scored two and had one assist tonight. Baby Boy got the last goal of the night--an empty-netter--and had two assists. Right now, Filppula is only one away from 20 for the year--something he should be able to accomplish with 11 games left in the season. And besides, if he stays on Datsyuk's line, he could come very close to a 50-point season! Again, good going.

12 comments:

  1. Wow.. Those pillows freeze?? My husband got one and couldn't use it either. I sent it back to the company I ordered it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was quite surprising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Dexter + Shoes = two of my favorite things.

    You MUST tell me if the book is any good...I am IN LOVE with the Showtime version DEXTER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEFINITELY will post after reading the book. Unfortunately, I don't know WHEN I will get to it! I think I just may do your picture meme so you all can see how many books I have laying around my house--then you would know what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girly friend keeps talking about Dexter. I'll have to check it out.

    AND I so agree about Sam's club. Ours is always deserted so I don't have to deal much with other annoying shoppers, but the checkers (or lack there of) drive me bonkers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:36 PM

    Those shoppers probably shop at the places I shop at too. Everywhere I go there's someone blocking the aisle with their cart at an awkward angle. I swear, sometimes it takes all I have not to just ram the damn cart out of my way. And what's with people who abandon their carts in the middle of aisles??

    Why is it that the store can be full of shoppers and there are only two open checkout lanes, and both have people with overflowing carts?

    I got the Dexter books at the library and enjoyed them. I didn't see the show on CBS (I don't get Showtime). I wonder if it'll be on again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:37 PM

    oh, yeah, I have a memory foam pillow-actually the core is foam, and I didn't know it'll freeze. Maybe next time I have a migraine I'll stick it in the deep freezer for ten minutes, that should give me a lot of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. jan: Putting one of the pillows in the freezer might give a few minutes of relief, but mine definitely thawed out pretty fast. The fact that the memory foam holds heat so well is part of my problem with the material. We tried a memory foam pad for our mattress--we need to buy a new mattress and thought we might spend the money on one of those if it would help with my sleep, but I can't stand how it held heat. Besides, I didn't think I slept any more comfortably on the memory foam than I do without. Not impressive.

    ann(ie) and jan: What is it about stores and not wanting to open check-outs? You walk in and there are 20+ check-outs available and only two open! I don't understand. I don't think I have seen ALL check-outs open in a store, EVER. And this includes Christmas. The worst time around here is the week/weekend before classes begin at our local university in the fall--I avoid the stores completely because it takes twice as long to check-out as it does to do the shopping. I have complained on more than one occasion. It means nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:00 PM

    What Sam's has that much room? Around here both Costco and Sam's are like walking into a foreign nation that is seriously overpopulated. It's like being in a traffic snarl at rush hour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are very lucky with the three Sam's that we frequent in Wisconsin. They are very well managed and laid out quite well. If it wasn't for the idiotic customers, shopping there would be almost a pleasure! ;) However, it MIGHT have something to do with the fact that we manage to get there early in the day--maybe it's a different story if the time was later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:58 PM

    All I know is Showtime now has an "All Things Dexter" section in the OnDemand menu...All of Season One and TWO plus bonus material, and interviews....I am IN LOVE.

    wheeeee

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I know is that I WILL be watching the second season as soon as the first is over--and than I will look forward to the third! I will check On Demand and see what is available.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...