Friday, March 28, 2008

Adventures In Living With Wildlife

(That PROBABLY will be the last "Adventures In..." title--I hope! :))

It MUST be spring because we are playing host to another member of the wildlife community. This time it is a red squirrel. It is living in our back entryway or basement--not too sure. K managed to get a look at it in the basement rafters, so... WARNING for those who don't want to know these things, but... If all goes well, there will be one less red squirrel in the world before the weekend is done. Of all of the creatures we have had live with us, I think red squirrels are the most destructive. And once they have established a home, it is very hard to keep them from coming back. That is why they have to leave this earth. Obviously, we DIDN'T find all of the ways to get into our house last summer. Damn!

I should have known something was down there--the cat has been walking around with various pieces of dirt, cobwebs, and dust on her fur. I knew she was skulking around in the basement, but I couldn't figure out why. Of course, my brave hunter doesn't do anything more than LOOK at whatever shouldn't be there! The other night, for example: She moved from her sleeping spot in the kitchen doorway, looked in the corner under the cabinet, looked at me, looked back to the corner, and looked at me. Obviously she was trying to get me to see what she was looking at. So, nice mommy that I am, I got my fat ass off of the chair and went to her rescue. And, of course, she was looking at a spider big enough to rampage Tokyo! Now, she is about 15 pounds or so, and she could take down a spider if she wanted--she doesn't want. I had to kill the spider so that she could go back to sleep in her spot. Lazy ass cat. She fits in this household beautifully.

Spider 2

5 comments:

  1. I! HATE!! SQUIRRELS!!!!

    Seriously!! Hate them!!

    Kill it and send me pics! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 AM

    I feed squirrels, but if one got into the house, I'd have the exterminator in here faster than you could say "acorns".

    You're a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. burg: If and when...for sure!

    jan: I really love the grey squirrels--basically because they actually dig up and eat the seeds they have buried. Also, they are so big that you can forget they are rodents. :) I really wouldn't mind having a little of exterminating done in regards to the red squirrels and chipmunks--they both are total pests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Big spiders creep me out, epecially when I find myself in close quarters with them.

    We don't have red squirrels here, just the dull grey ones. Black ones are interesting but I believe they are more northern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. leazwell: For some reason or other, our house has ALWAYS had a lot of spiders. Granted, the amount has slowed down over the years--I think it simply is due to my killing so many of them--but we still have them all year. While a lot of the ugly buggers are quite large, I'm just happy I have never seen one of the 'wood spiders' that inhabit some of our woods. (Don't know the exact breed--that is what they are called, though.) (Actually, I guess they are found rather easily on Isle Royale.) Anyway, they grow as large as the bottom of a 1 lb coffee can! {shudder}

    We haven't had any of the black squirrels here in our yard--they seem to be a bit more common north of us. I was surprised to find out that they are actually GREY squirrels with darker coats!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...