Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Feeling My Age

I have several different doctors that I see on a regular basis. The only reason for this is the state of the medical community and the emergence of specialties. And, it is ridiculous the amount of specialties there are. While I haven't seen one yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there are/will be doctors who only specialize in the big toe of the right foot! But, I digress--as I have been known to do.

Of all of the doctors I see, my ophthalmologist is the only one who actually makes me feel my age. I guess part of the problem is that he is at least ten years younger than I am. Also, there is very little that can be done to reverse any age related problems that eyes suffer. Eyes get old and that is about the end of that. And he doesn't mince words at all--he says what is happening and explains it IS age related. He doesn't say things to be mean--he is just being honest. I am sure he doesn't realize that I view his words the way I do. And it isn't that it makes me depressed or anything, it just makes me realize that I AM getting older--like it or not!

It is quite amazing that I don't have too many doctors who are younger than I am. My ophthalmologist is, as is my dermatologist. Then, my internist, gynecologist, and dentist are all older than I am. The dentist and GYN are about my age--within a few years--but my internist does have several years on me. I like him because he calls me 'just a baby.' :) As much as I hate to think about it, they are going to be facing retirement in the not too distant future. (We all know how fast time goes by!) I don't want to have to find new doctors--I have been seeing the ones I have for 15-30 years! Just another reason to hate getting older. :D

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 AM

    I can relate! My ophthalmologist is getting up there and I've been wondering if he's retiring soon and we'll have to find another one. I think I've been going to him for over 30 years. My doctor is about 10 years older than me so I don't have to worry about that happening too soon. But I have noticed that the doctors are getting younger all the time, some look like they've just finished high school. It's hard to trust what these whippersnappers tell us but I suppose they're up on the latest medical information. Not that the "old" doctors are-I'd go with experience over technical knowledge any day. It's just hard to take advice from someone who could be my kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doctors, bankers, you name it, they're ALL getting younger all the time. I tell the hubby "But he/she looks young enough to be my KID!" and he responds "That's because he/she IS young enough to be our kid." :D

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...