Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Forget "Happy Holidays," It's "Merry Christmas"

I understand, to a certain extent, political correctness, but it drives me insane when people say you can't wish someone a Merry Christmas--it might make them uncomfortable! Is that the biggest bunch of BS, or what? Just give me a frickin' break! Why is it so intolerable to mention, or display, anything that might be looked on as coming from a Christian perspective? The more politically correct we get in this country, when it comes to minorities of ANY kind, the less tolerance is shown to Christians--I don't get it. It is okay to dress as a Nazi and scream "Heil Hitler," to have parades while wearing white sheets, to give speeches about "death to the infidels," and on and on, but a Nativity scene can't be set up in a town square--I JUST DON'T GET IT!!! Maybe this world IS going to hell in a handbasket.

3 comments:

  1. JUst getting caught up on your last posts. I'm glad M is ok. WHen I was in 8th grade, I was turning a corner at school at the same time as someone else & his pencil stabbed me just to the right of my chin. You can still see the dot.
    I agree with you about wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah--that would be his way of spreading cheer, & I think that's what the "Merry Christmas" is all about too, just spreading cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. It's so said this is such a big deal. One of the things that was so great about the US when I was a kid was how wonderfully varied our traditions were... most of the kids I knew celebrated Christmas, but not all, and we all did it in different ways. We weren't the slightest bit offended when someone offered up a Happy Hannukah. We even learned about all those other holidays in school.

    But Happy Holidays? Seems to me like if that's promoting diversity, it does a great job of sapping all the diversity right out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I just don't understand why we can't actually CELEBRATE some of our differences, rather than try to make us all into clones of one another. Isn't it much more fun to get to know someone who has had different experiences than you have?

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...