Monday, December 04, 2006

All The Craziness

Yes, people, I am still here. Quite a few things have been going on, but I think what has been keeping me occupied so much lately is what is GOING to happen. It is amazing just how inactive physically we can become (well, me, anyway) when we have a lot on our minds--especially things that can be frightening. So, to explain a little about that truly strange statement, here we go!

K got a call from the nephrologist last week and he is going to have to undergo a kidney biopsy this Friday. His kidneys are working at only 70%, so the doctor wants to go in and see if he can figure out the cause. K has been through all of the blood and urine tests and ultrasound, so the next thing to do is this. Of course, being the stoic and stubborn Finn that he is, we don't share too much in the talking department. (And I don't bring up upsetting topics because I don't want to cause/have any angry confrontations. Not good.) Communication about very important and frightening things has never been one of the better aspects of our marriage and we are not doing much better in that department as of late. One of the good things about being married as long as we have is the fact that I can read him pretty well most of the time, so I know he is concerned. He IS having some difficulty sleeping--has the tendency to wake up and not get back to sleep--and he actually HAS made some off-hand remarks about 'waiting' till all of this is over. So far, there is NO indication that his problems are diabetes-related at all--something I have been concerned about because his mother had very bad Type-II diabetes. The doctor is concerned that K has had untreated high blood pressure for long enough that it caused some kidney damage. Well, if there are no answers on Friday, K has to see both the internist AND nephrologist on Monday, so I am hoping they can give some then. If nothing else, this whole thing has been a good lesson in how important it is to have a primary care physician and to see him/her on a regular basis.

Saw my PCP last Monday and I am back on blood pressure meds for the duration. I really think I finally have to realize that I will never get off of them--and that isn't too bad cause it COULD be much worse. My anemia has reared its ugly head again, so I probably will be on iron pills for always, too. Again, it COULD be much worse. I get to have more blood work right after Christmas--have to check on that pesky old thyroid--and then I will see him again in three months. I can handle three-month visits--just don't care for the monthly ones.

So, I had a birthday on Tuesday--and that is about how exciting the day was! :) Although, I received MORE cards and well-wishes this year than I have gotten for quite a while--and I TRULY appreciated it. K bought me a new white-gold chain--needed a shorter length for some of my pendants--and C and her family sent me flowers. A dear friend made me two evergreen sprays for the front and back doors and another friend gave me some wonderful gifts, one of which was an antique cookie cutter for my kitchen-utensil collection! I also got cards and a phone call from the youngest daughter--who sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. All in all, a low-key day, but happy nonetheless. Now I'm done for another year.

K and I went out one day last week and did at least 75% of our Christmas shopping. With all of the medical things going on, we will not be able to get out of town to shop, so we had to do it locally. I am happy to say that I have only a little more shopping to do and then I am done. It REALLY helped this year for us to decide that the grandkids are getting money for their savings accounts and books as gifts--no more of all that other 'crap' that they will never play with or break before the New Year. C is absolutely thrilled with our decision as she just doesn't have room for more stuff for six kids! I probably will have to do a little online shopping--which I should get done tonight--and that will be that! Hooray!

I am plodding along with my Christmas decorating. I usually am all done with it by this time--I try to have it done during the Thanksgiving weekend--but just can't get myself in gear this year. Again, I am waiting for everything to be over with so that I can get out of this funk. I should be able to get most of it done today.

We now have winter. Over the weekend we got six to ten inches here in the city and I have no doubt that it is here to stay. I was hoping it would hold off for another week or two, but it didn't. While I don't mind the snow, I don't particularly like driving in it. But, of course, it IS much better with the four-wheel drive than without, so it isn't too bad for most of the winter. There really are very few days during the year that are iffy when it comes to driving, and I usually don't have to go anywhere then. I STILL can't believe we went for so many years without an SUV--what fools we were!

K's brother was in town last week to have surgery for peripheral artery disease. K had to bring him home the following day, so his days off were pretty well filled with hospitals and driving. While he doesn't mind the driving in the least, I'm sure he didn't need the reminder that he will be in the hospital himself THIS week.

I have my annual GYN appointment this week and THAT is always good for a few laughs! After all, what woman DOESN'T like having a strange man look at, and feel, parts of her body that neither her husband or HERSELF have ever seen or touched! That appointment is ALWAYS the high-light of my year! Thank goodness I like my doctor so much, or I don't know if I would EVER go to the appointment without first taking a massive dose of Xanax.

And, finally, C called the other night when she got home from the emergency room. Yes, the two-year-old boy had to be taken in because he shoved a popcorn kernel up his nose and she couldn't get it out. I am trying to understand WHAT is is about males that they are CONSTANTLY thinking about only one thing: sticking something into body orifices! (And, yes, that is a VERY dirty reference!) :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...