Thursday, December 21, 2006

Idol Worship or "I Am Your Biggest Fan..."

Are you a very big fan of a celebrity, musician, actor, author, sports figure, etc? Would you ever want to meet your 'idol?' What would you do or say if you got to meet him/her? Well, here is my take on the whole situation.

I am a HUGE fan of Eric Clapton. Anyone who has read this blog for awhile knows this. And I have been a fan for many, many years. I don't have a 'crush' on him. I don't think he is the best looking man there is. (Although, while he SHOULD look like twenty miles of bad road because of all he has been through in his life, he DOES get better looking with age.) I don't think he has the solutions for all of the world's problems. What I DO feel about the man is he is the most amazing musician I can name. The things the man can do with a guitar are pure magic--he plays beautifully, he sings decently, and he writes good songs. He amazes me.

I love the Red Wings. I think most of the players are just as cute as a bug's ear--and most of them are young enough to be my kid! Their talent is awesome--the things they can do with a puck are simply breathtaking. While watching a game, I very rarely multi-task because I just want to bask in the pure beauty of what I am watching.

John Grisham is one of my favorite authors--among others. I am totally awestruck by the way he can tell a story and pull me into it. Losing myself in a well-told story is a passion of mine and anyone who can write well completely amazes me.

I think the model Giselle is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. While I don't know that she has any particular talent other than being beautiful, I am a fan of hers simply because I couldn't imagine being that gorgeous. I would be soooooo grateful to have a fraction of her beauty.

I am a fan of quite a few actors and one I am particularly fond of is Kyra Sedgwick. I have seen her in a few things and she seems to play the 'Southern belle' quite often. I was truly amazed to find out that she actually was born and raised in New York! The woman has talent, for sure.

I have many famous people who truly amaze me because of their talents and abilities and I don't particularly want to meet any of them! My fear is that I would be so disappointed in what they REALLY are like--and not how they are portrayed by their PR people--that I could never truly enjoy their work again. If the actor was completely ego-centric, if the athlete was 'brain-damaged' from being hit too many times and couldn't form a cohesive sentence, if the author was a stuck-up snob, if the musician was stoned and could only slur his words, this would just be too much for me to take. So, I do not want to meet the celebrities that I truly admire. Does this mean I am not someone's biggest fan?

3 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of something my aunt told me years ago. My aunt knew a woman who was a well regarded seamstress. She was very good at what she did and was even asked to make some costumes for some very famous clientele. Word of mouth is how they found her. Anyway, my aunt had asked her what some of these people were like? She said her favorite person she had met and made a few things for was Cher. She said she was warm and down to earth. Her least favorite? Kenny Rogers. She said he was arrogant and rude. She told me the incident that made her come to this conclusion. Anyway, I never forgot about that.

    I am not sure if I can say that I am a huge fan of anyone. I do admire several famous people. There are also some that I think would be fun to meet just because I think they would be interesting.
    The author Fannie Flagg (love her books), Dolly Parton, Walter Cronkite, Cher, Jimmy Carter, Liza Minnelli, Bette Midler, Tina Turner, Salma Hayek (gorgeous!). I think the model Petra Nemcova is so pretty. I was inspired by her interview with Larry King. She survived the 2004 tsunami which took the life of her boyfriend. She founded a charity to aid the children affected by the disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the person I would love to met the most is James Taylor. I have been a fan of his since I can remember. I could (and have) listen to his music every moment of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! Hope your day was fantastic, my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...