Thursday, August 04, 2011

Good Drivers

Way before there were driver ed classes, people were taught to drive by other drivers.  Here in this part of the country, it wasn't a bad deal, as there are plenty of country roads--read that as 'not busy'--that can be used for driving practice.  While I DID take driver ed in high school, I didn't get my license until after getting married--K kind of forced me into it.  (Actually, he told me he wouldn't pay for the insurance on a car that wasn't used, so I got my license rather than letting the car sit.)  I did most of my practice driving on the country roads and it worked out well.  I remember The Mother practicing when I was very young, as she needed to drive when The Father went into the hospital for that year.  And not too much before that, my paternal grandmother learned to drive.  And that is the story...

My grandfather died before I was born and my grandmother remarried several years later.  Her second husband taught her to drive.  One day, The Mother was riding with Grandma through our little town.  The Mother wasn't too comfortable riding with Grandma, as she wasn't the best driver.  Rather than taking the highway back to The Parents' house, Grandma took the other 'main' road which had numerous stop signs on it.  As Grandma drove straight through EVERY stop sign, The Mother saw her life pass before her eyes--she was SURE that she would never make it home alive.  After the two of them finally made it to the house, The Mother asked Grandma why she didn't stop at the stop signs.  Grandma answered, "[Her husband] said good drivers don't NEED to stop at stop signs."

And my grandmother drove for 20+ years after that--and never had an accident.  I guess she WAS a good driver.  :D


5 comments:

  1. or a lucky bad driver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:17 AM

    she wouldn't be able to get away with that now, that's for sure. I agree with what Kristi said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was DEFINITELY lucky--and it didn't hurt that she lived in a rural area. And you're right, janet, she couldn't get away with that today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! She drove through every stop sign? That's either really funny, or totally scary! I can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is BOTH funny and scary at the same time. Considering she wasn't in any accidents, I'll go with funny. :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...