Thursday, August 15, 2019

Sources of Amusement

The left side of my property



The right side of my property

Across the back of my property, I have a wooden fence, which we put up before buying the half-lot next to us. The half-lot has a chain link fence, which is my neighbor's. The squirrels use the tops of the fences as a high speed, super highway...a way to get from one yard serving peanuts, to wherever they hide said nuts. As the summer rolls along, the Virginia creepers begin to take over the wooden fence--courtesy of another neighbor's yard--and grapevines take over the chain link fence. This doesn't really bother me, as the green is a nice contrast to the fences. One thing I DO enjoy, however, is how this greenery affects the squirrels...

One day I was looking out of the back window when I saw a squirrel running to get to its hidey-hole. Run, run, run...slow down and detour up into the trees in order to avoid the grapevines and back to the fence. Then, run, run, run until getting to the Virginia creeper...slow down, climb DOWN the fence, creep along (while clinging to the side,) climb back up and continue its journey. I thought this was a one-time thing, but as I continued to watch day after day, I realized the squirrels all do this in order to avoid the greenery. I find this absolutely fascinating and funny at the same time. I will never NOT be amazed at how the critters adapt to their environment, no matter WHAT gets in their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...