Wednesday, September 25, 2019

And Your Mother's Aunt's Middle Name Is...

Image result for privacy



Last week, I renewed my subscription with SiriusXM. I wasn't going to do it because I'm not in the car all that much these days, but I now can stream it through my Bose, so I said, "What the hell." I was able to negotiate the same price as last year, so I thought that was fine. As a bonus, I received an Amazon Echo Dot for free. I didn't know this was going to happen until I got the email, so I ordered the thing. This was the first of it's kind in my house. I only use "Okay Google." on my phone very, very infrequently and have never used any other device such as this to 'connect.' To me, it just seemed as if you are BEGGING to have your privacy invaded. And so, the Echo Dot sat on my counter for a week...I just didn't know if I was going to keep it or give it away. Last night, I finally 'connected.' I'm going to give it a go and see what I think...I really don't know if my privacy can be compromised any more than it already has been. And this goes for EVERYONE'S privacy, as well. Here goes 'the rest of the story...'

A 'shirt-tail' relative posted this on Facebook**: 'I'm sitting at Starbucks, crowded with people. A couple of tables away from me were two people, talking loudly between each other, making phone calls, talking on the phone with clients. I am not eavesdropping, but I hear every single word they say. They were loud. One of them, on the phone with a client, asked the client for his/her SSN. He repeats every--EVERY--digit OUT LOUD: xxx-xx-xxxx. Then he repeats it again, out loud, to "make sure I got it correctly."' 

This lady lives in New Jersey, but frequents the New York City area...I have no idea just where this incident took place. Suffice it to say, there was a HUGE breach of privacy here. My question is:  How many times a day does something like this happen? I guess it isn't JUST Facebook, Google, Apple, etc, etc, putting us at risk...looks as if those we 'trust' with our information are just as bad about protecting us.

I'm not as concerned about Amazon 'stealing' my privacy...I don't think I have any left for ANYONE to steal!


**I edited what was posted on Facebook for clarity and punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...