Friday, May 13, 2005

Retainers, Bugs, and Rob Thomas

I don't really know why I haven't written for the last two weeks--maybe a bit of laziness, maybe the fact that I can't keep the days straight! Anyway, I mentioned in my short post of yesterday that K. has been working almost non-stop for the past several weeks, so it is hard to remember what day it is.

On 28 April I got my braces off. Yeah!!!! And then, I also was given my retainers. Boo!!!! After being without braces/with retainers, I now know why people won't wear the retainers. It isn't that there is any pain involved, it's just a royal pain in the kazoo! Of course, you can't eat with retainers, and I won't drink anything but water while wearing them. (Probably my being anal, but I worry about the acid from coffee/soda getting under the retainers and rotting my teeth.) Then, after eating, I won't put the damn things back in my mouth until I've brushed. I guess I will have worn the enamel right off the teeth by the time I'm told to only wear them at night. (Hint, hint: I eat WAAAAYYYY too much.)

Mother's Day came and went like any other day. K. worked the night shift, so we didn't even go out to eat. However, he did get me a card and a small box of fudge and 4 lottery tickets. Three of the four tickets were winners--I got $60! That will ALMOST pay for Photoshop Elements. C. called and wished me a good day--the first time in a LONG time that either of the girls have acknowledged me on a special day. I appreciated her calling. I never have expected a gift or any big fuss from the girls (not that I would turn anything down!), but I would like to be acknowledged as the woman who gave birth to them. A card would be nice--a phone call is fine--even an email would be acceptable (and it is free)--but too many times I get nothing. I don't understand it, they weren't raised that way. Even when The Mother and I have been estranged, I have always remembered her birthday and Mother's Day. ENOUGH WHINING!

We are experiencing our typical weather--one day so hot that I can't remove enough clothing to keep myself cool and the next day so cold that I'm bundled up in socks, long pants, and a sweater. We might even be getting some snow during the next few days. I guess we will be doing the planting a bit later than usual.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned the spider problem we have in this house. There still are quite a few of them--and I kill every one I see--but I now have been having a much creepier problem--I have been seeing centipedes in the basement. Not only do those things have WAY too many legs, and are WAY too long to be considered bugs, but they are VERY fast. If I don't get to them fast enough, they crawl under something and hide from me. This is not something I can live with. I know beyond any reason that if I let any bug live after I have seen it, the next thing I know is it will be on my face as I sleep. And getting to the things isn't the last of the problems: they are next to impossible to kill! I have hit a centipede five times before the thing would die! That just is not right. I swear they are part cockroach--they also are hard to kill. I guess I would have to live in a very large operating-room environment to not have to deal with all the creepy-crawlies I can't stand. And I know that wouldn't even work: they would find a way to get to me.

What I've been listening to: Something To Be by Rob Thomas. Great!

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Good to hear from you! You & yours have been in my prayers. Abut the retainer--gotta be careful about going w/o it--next thing ya know it doesn't fit & you're having to pay for another one (ok, so, that's MY story, but it could happen to anyone)!
    That makes me sad about your girls.
    I like Rob Thomas too. Don't have his latest, but I guess I'm a little too lazy to go pick it up. We used to have those centipede ickies when I lived in Ohio, and I can appreciate your not wanting to go to bed until it's been killed! LOL! I too would be afraid it'd come back to get me in my sleep!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...