Thursday, July 29, 2010

Politically Speaking

I don't really do politics.  I find most politics/politicians petty and childish and I avoid it/them like the plague.  While I make sure I vote, I usually don't even think about who or what I'm voting for until just before the November election.  Until then, I just want to be left alone--which definitely doesn't happen.

A couple of weeks ago, I was bombarded with the fact that we are having primary elections with a front page story in our newspaper.  And the story was revisited the other day.  And frankly, I find it quite unbelievable on some level.

If Jimmy Carter decided to make another run at being president, in the state of Michigan he wouldn't be allowed to put the term 're-elect' on his posters/signs--it is against the law.*  We have a guy that is seeking office--an office he has held twice before.  He does NOT hold the office presently, but his signs read "Re-elect John Doe."  This is against the law--and the signs were 'reported.'  So, he went around and put duct tape over the 'Re' on the signs so that he would be in compliance with the law.  All of this is just absolutely ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned.  (And I'm not even sure if I would/will vote for 'John Doe.'  I believe I may NOT be one of his supporters.)  Politics and the absurd--a match made in heaven.

*I don't know if this law is for federal elections or just state/local ones.  Also, I have no idea if this is a law in every state, or not.

7 comments:

  1. Janet3:55 PM

    No idea either, but he gets points for fixing the signs instead of pulling them all up and printing new ones-that costs money, not to mention the waste.

    Been getting an error message when I try to post a comment on anyone's Blogger blog. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought the whole thing was absurd. But, that is what politics is all about: ABSURDITY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, absurd is the word for it!

    Maybe our mind-set is the reason why neither of us would be any good at politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I steer clear from politics too.

    Usually as soon as someone starts talking politics, I just put my fingers in my ears and say "la, la la, I can't hear you"!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And every day I'm getting mail, phone calls, or front page-full page newspaper stories that are all political--and it's ONLY AUGUST!!!! I can't imagine how much more of this shit I'm going to be dealing with AFTER the primary. And then we get to be bombarded with the presidential election--which is two years off--as soon as this November is done. When it comes to election reform, they really need to take a look at how long political campaigns go on. This is just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should get rid of all of them and start over...

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your lips to God's ears...

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...