Monday, April 25, 2011

Busy, Busy

Last week was, for me, a very, very busy one.  Something seemed to be going on every single day--and a lot of good stuff happened.

On Monday, K had his annual physical.  Everything is going well, his 'numbers' are fine, he is still losing weight--slow and steady--and there just doesn't seem to be any problems.  YIPPEE!!  Now, if the nephrologist gives him the exact same report when he sees him in August, then I will truly be relieved.  Hopefully, with all things pointed in the 'good' direction, he can avoid that 'almost certain' kidney transplant that was predicted he would need at some time in the future.  Fingers crossed.

On Tuesday, I went and pampered myself with a hair appointment.  I LOVE getting my hair 'done'--it is so relaxing.  I wish I had someone that would come in and do my hair every day--and by 'do,' I mean wash it, as I don't 'do' anything to my hair other than combing.  After the appointment, I decided to go and see about getting myself a new cell phone.  The girl I talked to was so adorable and we talked for a good thirty minutes before I said "I'll take it home today!"  She was back in the storeroom forever and when she came out, she had to tell me they were all out of the phone I wanted.  ACK!  She said they get shipments in daily and would call if my phone came in.

Wednesday started with no phone call about my phone.  BUMMER.  I was scheduled for an appointment with my dermatologist, so I hauled my ass to the medical center for that.  I found out that the doctor was NOT leaving the area as I had been told--I'm SO happy that I don't need to go looking for another new doctor.  I wanted some cortisone injections in a few of my 'spots,' but she is no longer allowed to use the lidocaine spray to numb the skin--it is against the law because of CFCs.  So, I have to go through the process of using lidocaine cream in order to get my skin numbed enough for me to want to be 'stuck' numerous times with a needle.  UGH.  Anyway, I was sent for my annual chest x-ray--because I'm still on Enbrel--and got that taken care of.  Then I moseyed on down to my internist's office to inquire about blood work--I have an appointment coming up next week and needed to know.  Yes, I needed it done and I was able to have the blood draw right then, as I didn't need to do a fast ahead of time.  Happily, that saved me a trip!  The biggest surprise to my trip to the medical center was this:  from the minute I left our driveway to the time I got back, only one hour and five minutes had passed!  I don't think I have ever gotten through ANYTHING medical in such a quick fashion.

Happily, when I got into the house, there was a message telling me that my new phone was waiting for me at the store!  YAY!!!!  I got an HTC Inspire and it is quite possibly one of the greatest pieces of technology I have ever purchased.  I am having so much fun with it and will do a post about it later this week.  After a few more stops for shopping, I got home for a night of hockey.  And the Red Wings won their series in a sweep and have been able to sit back and heal while waiting for the rest of the teams to get finished with the first round.  A great, great day all around.

Thursday found me back to the salon for a manicure and pedicure--another day of pampering!  I got my first shellac manicure and it is absolutely awesome!  The polish is put on in four different coats and each coat is dried with a UV light.  It is guaranteed to last without chipping for fourteen days--and a lot of women go much longer between manicures.  If there was no outgrowth, you could go a month without needing your nails to be redone!  I'm now on day three and it looks like I had my nails done just minutes ago.  I'm loving this.

We took one of our regular road trips on Friday.  While I didn't buy a whole lot, the shopping went well.  We found ourselves at a Korean sushi restaurant for dinner that evening--our friends wanted us to try it.  Anyone who has read this blog for a while knows that I am a very unadventurous eater, so this was quite an experience for me.  I just couldn't bring myself to eat sushi, but I did have bulgogi and kimchi and Korean potato salad.  I tasted K's tempura and FELL. IN. LOVE!  ANYTHING that is battered and deep fried is alright in my book!  I am looking forward to going back to the restaurant and the next time I even think I WILL try the sushi.  And FYI:  sake is powerful and a good sedative.  :)

On Saturday, we finished up our shopping and came home.  Today, we had a very quiet day of playoff hockey and rest.  And this week we will be going up to see the grandkids and bring The Mother her birthday gift.  I believe that will be the extent of what we need to do.  All in all, a good string of days.  :)  And then the second round of the playoffs will start toward the end of the week and I get to be all stressed all over again.


meleah rebeccah said...

*Oh good, I'm glad everything 'checked out' with K at the doctors!

* I also LOVE getting my hair done. I feel all new and fresh!

* HOORAY! I'm thrilled you do NOT need to find a new doctor. And you got all of that done in an HOUR? WOW. Impressive!

* I'm psyched about your new phone! That is awesome!

* Oh man, I need a mani-pedi ASAP. and I am DYING to get the shellac polish!

* You MUST try sushi at least ONCE!

Love you!

cmk said...

The shellac is unbelievable! I have hard nails to begin with, but with the shellac on I think I could loosen screws with them. ;) So far, absolutely NO sign of wear--and I NEVER watch what I do in order to keep my manicure going longer.

I looked at the restaurant menu again and I'm sure I could 'choke down' some tuna and/or salmon sushi. :) Part of my problem is the fear I may be sensitive to shellfish--both The Mother and The Youngest are. So, my choices are limited when it comes to sushi. But, I WILL try it ASAP.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you got your medical stuff done in record time-the stars must have been in alignment for you that day!

I don't plan to try sushi. I'm sure it's good, but there are a lot of things I'd rather try than raw fish. I have a hard enough time choking down cooked fish!

cmk said...

I was SO shocked that everything got done so quickly--it was as if I had back-to-back-to-back appointments. Completely unbelievable.

I think I can eat the tuna and salmon--I DO eat cold/canned tuna (yes, 'raw' tuna is different) and I have had salted/prepared 'raw' salmon before, so I'll give it a try. I WON'T, however, have only that as my meal. ;)

cmk said...

Oh, and I have tried calamari and alligator, so I can try sushi. (And I don't plan to eat either a second time. :))