Friday, July 29, 2011

Some Common Courtesy, Please

There are some jobs that I really wouldn't want--for example, knife-thrower's assistant or Mafia hitman.  But, those are jobs that SOMEONE has to do, just as the job of telemarketer--another one of those 'not for me' jobs.  For the most part, I understand that telemarketers are trying to make a living, trying to pay their rent and feed their families.  And I am okay with that.  What I am NOT okay with is the attitude of too many of these people.

As I said, I don't want the job and I can imagine it is a very frustrating way to make a living, but I wish they would understand ME, as well.  For the most part, I try to be as nice and courteous to the caller as I can.  (I take issue, though, with the companies that call repeatedly, day after day after day.  I don't need to be HARASSED.)  As I said, I try to be courteous and friendly, while trying to get off of the phone as quickly as possible.  And I usually can do all of this with a minimum of hassle.  There are more times than I'd like to think, that I HAVE to be rude to these people or I would be on the phone with them all day long.  Some telemarketers are like a dog with a bone, they just won't give it up!  One thing that I will say is that I'm not interested and don't want to waste their time and then I'll say good by and hang up.  I feel bad when I have to be rude, but there are times when it is just necessary. 

I think what annoys me most are the times where the telemarketer is my BEST friend in the world until I make it clear that I am NOT buying from him/her.  When s/he can just say good by and hang up, WHY get 'that tone of voice' and be rude to me?  I wasn't rude in the first place and this is one of the reasons why telemarketers have such a bad reputation:  They get all pissy when you let them know you are not falling for their sale's pitch.  I want to tell them to suck it up and deal with the rejection--sorry to say, but this IS what you signed up for when you took the job.  (I DO know that jobs are hard to come by, but it isn't a secret how people feel about telemarketers.)  And while I know the majority of people ARE rude, please be happy that there are some, like me, that don't want to be.



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM

    aren't you on the Do Not Call list? It's made a world of difference to my mom, she used to get 10 calls a day, and since she signed up, it's rare that we get one in a week.

    Just say "No, thank you" and hang up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, dealing with telemarketers can be very frustrating - because even when you are nice/kind to them, when you say, "No" - they kind of go postal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. janet: Yes, I'm on the Do Not Call list and it HAS made a lot of difference--these are the companies that are ALLOWED to call because I have/are now doing business with them. I hate being rude, but some of them are so rude to me when I say 'no' that it just gets to me. (And the repeat callers are usually recorded messages that don't stop even when I wait until the end and press whatever button they say for the calls to stop. I really think the calls increase--just like when you try to 'unsubscribe' to SPAM.)

    meleah: Like I said, I understand THEIR frustration, but they need to understand ME, too.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...