Monday, September 05, 2011

Just Business As Usual

I needed to fill the refrigerator so that we actually could have food to eat, so I went out earlier to shop.  Of course, I can't go out without making the obligatory stop at Wal Mart--or, as the case was tonight, the land of the RVs.  WOW!!!  The RVs were lined up end to end all around the perimeter of the parking lot.  I don't think I've ever seen so many there at any one time before, so I was quite amazed.  But then, it IS the unofficial end to summer and people want to get that last trip in before school starts.

It is pretty cool that Wal Mart allows RVs to be parked in their lots for free.  Not that Wal Mart is losing out in the deal:  every time I see one of these things parked, there are people walking to the store to buy.  There is a definite method to this madness.  One of the guys that K works with laughingly says when he retires he will buy a Chevy, put all of his belongings in it, and park at Wal Mart to live.  I wonder how many have tried this already?  :)

This town is unbelievably crazy this weekend.  First, the students are back--and not one of them know how to drive in this town.  There is some sort of half K or full K run this weekend, so that has brought a lot of people in.  But the big draw is the annual blues festival--and THAT gets an awful lot of people from quite a distance coming here.  So, the traffic is absolutely nuts.  And the drivers are going to get someone killed.

Wal Mart is situated on the main highway that runs through the UP.  Of course, we don't have interstate highways, so every business has its own entrance onto this major road.  Target is across the highway from Wal Mart, so the traffic along the corridor there is quite extensive.  To help with left turns, a traffic light was installed at the intersection.  A pain in the butt for people passing through, but essential for those who are trying to get to one of the businesses.  When I go to Wal Mart from our house, I have to make a left turn to get into the parking lot.  The light for the through traffic was green, but the left turn lane had a red light.  When I got to the light, there was vehicle in front of me making a stop, but BARELY.    And then the car turned left while the light was still red!!!  I know people are always doing the wrong things while driving, but it still flabbergasts me when I see something like this.  Here I am, hours later, and I can't believe I really saw this.  That driver is certainly an accident waiting to happen.  And I am staying in the house until the holiday weekend is over.

4 comments:

  1. It's a shame that some people were issued a driver's license.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:14 PM

    I see people turning on red all the time, there's a really dangerous intersection where I go to the grocery, and people are still turning left long after the light is red for them, and I have a green left-turn light, sometimes only two cars make it before the oncoming traffic, because of the cross-traffic left-turn-on-reds. If there was a traffic camera at that intersection, this city would make a fortune in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just is such a scary situation at that intersection as it is SO busy there. We have had accidents before, but I believe they have always been RIGHT turn ones. This is a whole other kind of scary! I really wonder if this is happening because of the 'right on red' law we have?

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...