Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Nature At Her Best

Whenever we travel--whether it's north or south--we have to keep an eye out for wildlife.  And we do this mostly to avoid accidents.  Moose and deer can cause MAJOR damage to vehicles--and bodies.  We hardly ever are disappointed in what we see.  It is common to see turkeys and fox and coyotes and bears and eagles.  The most common animal that we see are whitetail deer--and yesterday was no exception.  When we were about halfway home last night, we saw a female deer on the right side of the road.  She was heading up the hill to get into the woods.  This was nothing unusual, but we kept an eye on her to make sure she didn't turn and come back onto the road.  As we got closer, we saw that her fawn was with her.  This baby was barely as high as her knees and had all of its spots.  Surprisingly, it was just as spry and lively as mama--the little one ran quickly behind the adult and made its way into the trees to safety.  It all happened way too fast for me to get a picture--damn.

(Of course, this is NOT the baby, but looks quite like it.)

4 comments:

  1. Seeing all of the wildlife is just ONE of the great advantages to living here. And if you get to see babies, well, that is the cherry on top of the sundae. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have that kind of experience at least once in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And even better still is the fact that I don't always have to leave the house to see a lot of critters. Even though they can be pests at times, I wouldn't want them to go away.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...