Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dog, Dogs, and More Dogs

This weekend is the annual dog sled race here.  With our lack of snow this year, the race won't be starting downtown as it usually does, but that doesn't mean the activities will be any less than other years.  There WILL be a ceremonial start in town, but the 200 mile race will have to start where there actually is snow.  It has been a strange, strange winter.  We don't battle the crowds to go and watch the start of the race, simply because it is much too cold to stand around just to see the sleds take off.  That doesn't mean we don't get some of the effect of having the dogs in town--their presence is felt all around.  It is fun to pull into a parking lot and see the trailers with the dogs in their cubbies--and you see this a lot in the week leading up to the race.  The local newspaper and TV station have daily stories--with pictures--about the dogs and mushers.  This is a nice 'celebration' during the long, cold days of winter.  And the best thing about the race is the dogs.  I have NEVER seen happier dogs than ones pulling a sled during a race:


Just LOOK at those faces and tell me they aren't doing EXACTLY what they want to be doing!  I LOVE sled dogs--the bigger the better.

Banshee is the official mascot of the race and she has her own Facebook page here.  If you have a bit of time to kill--or just love looking at some GREAT pictures of dogs (and her 'brothers'--two cats and Seamus, who is in training to be the new mascot)--go on over there and spend some time.  I don't know if there is a happier dog around than Banshee--and she is quite good-looking, as well.


Both pictures I 'lifted' from Banshee's Facebook page.  I don't think she'd mind, though.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. I just LOVE that photo of Banshee in the sunglasses! It's too bad there isn't enough snow there-I thought you got a lot this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Those sled dogs are LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. janet: Yes, she has a whole wardrobe of sunglasses--among other clothing--that she wears. I MUST meet her some day. :D I guess we are down quite significantly in the amount that has fallen. What kept me from thinking there has been that much less snow was the WAY we have gotten it: it will snow here and dump a lot, then the temp rises and the snow melts. So, there isn't as much on the ground as usual. But overall, I guess we have gotten much less, too.

    meleah: I don't think I have ever seen dogs so happy to be doing ANYTHING as sled dogs are when they are pulling a sled.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...