Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's day--or, if you don't celebrate, a nice day.  Period.  The Red Wings broke an NHL record, so my day was very good.  ;)

This year I saw an interesting trend:  people apologizing.  If someone wasn't apologizing FOR celebrating the day, then they were apologizing for NOT celebrating.  My goodness, I thought the only day that caused THIS much guilt was Mother's Day!  (Or Good Friday if you're Christian.  ;))  I don't apologize for the years we celebrate OR for the ones we don't.  This year, we had a mixture of both.

For the most part, K and I tend to be a little casual about most holidays.  We pretty much have had to, as the first few years we were married, he was off sailing the seven seas, so we were apart.  Then he got his job at the power plant and was at work more times than he was at home for holidays, because of shift work.  So, we celebrate at OUR convenience and not necessarily on 'the' day.  This year, he is working night shift for Valentine's Day, so we didn't get to do anything special.  However...

About a month ago, I ordered K's gift for the day.  It was personalized M&Ms and a small bubblegum dispenser to put them in.  Despite the expense--personalized M&Ms are NOT cheap--the dispenser is a great addition to the hockey cave.  And the Wisconsin Badgers colors are red and white, so we can get 'team color' M&Ms from Sam's Club often enough to keep us supplied.  ;)  He likes his M&MS, so he was more than pleased.

I knew I wasn't going to be making a special meal for the day, so I pulled out the old cookbook/recipe cards to see what I could do instead.  When I came across my recipe for red velvet cake, I KNEW I had to make one. I used to do this every year for February 14, but haven't made one in many years.  I forgot how much work was involved--probably the reason I quit doing it--and I ALSO forgot how great tasting this cake is.  YUM!  I may have to make another one before the year is up.  K was very appreciative, as I'm sure he had himself convinced that he would never get another one in his lifetime.

Hopefully this looks as good as it tastes.  The picture doesn't do justice to just how red this cake is, however.  You DON'T want to eat too much and forget that you did when you go to the bathroom--it can be scary.  ;)

Kind of surprisingly, K didn't get me anything for V-Day.  I don't think it had anything to do with his not being thoughtful, however.  He most definitely gets a pass from me because he was extra-special good to me for our anniversary (October), my birthday (November), and Christmas.  (All gifts were jewelry, by the way--and he is very good at buying jewelry.)  Also, this past weekend I bought myself another NOOK, so I kind of look on that as my V-Day gift.  But I think what K DID do for me was just as special--if not more so--than any gift he could have bought:  before going to work, he made sure to tune the living room TV to the secondary station where the Wings game was being broadcast, so I wouldn't have to search for it.  Now if THAT isn't love, what is?

4 comments:

  1. Awwwww.... That IS love. It's the little things that matter the most!

    And YAY for the Wings breaking a record!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:34 AM

    I thought about making a RV cake...did you make the butter cream frosting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah-I'm fascinated by the frosting-what is it?

    I know guys can say "I love you" till they're blue in the face, but to me, it was always what they did, not what they said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS always the little things that men do that mean the most! And they can be so darn good at knowing what it is that will melt our hearts.

    I have NEVER made a cream cheese frosting for a RV cake--the thought makes me a bit ill. I've always thought that it would be far too sweet. So, this is the frosting that The Mother always makes and I FINALLY found a recipe for online. (She does it free-form and I could never get it right before I found the recipe.) So, here goes:

    SANDERS BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
    1/2 cup Crisco
    1/4 lb butter (one stick)
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup milk (I have used everything from skim to whole--skim milk makes it softer, but if it is beat for several minutes, it will work okay)
    1/2 tsp. almond flavoring (I have always used vanilla and never tried it with the almond--might be interesting)

    Warm, but do not scald, the milk--do not overheat, just take the chill off.

    Cream Crisco and butter together. Add sugar and mix well so as not to be gritty--beat well. Gradually add the warmed milk and continue beating--add flavoring.

    I like to whip the frosting for several minutes to get it as smooth as possible.

    As I said, this has always been a favorite in our family. I'm not sure, but some might not like it because of the Crisco--some people might 'taste' too much of it. If you try this, let me know how you like!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...