Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Haters Be Hating


COMIC SANS FONT


The last time I really worried or thought about whatever font I was using was when I was the superintendent of our Sunday School.  I used to do a 'talk' every Sunday and used visuals whenever I could--and this included computer generated visuals.  I also did posters and other displays for the walls of the Sunday School and the classrooms. At the time, I wanted to do something 'different' as often as possible and I am certain I used Comic Sans at some point.  I never thought too much about what font I was using, only that it was something I didn't use the week before.

I don't know if I would particularly want to read an entire book published in Comic Sans, but I certainly don't hate it.  I find it easy to read and pleasing enough.   However, I think there IS a time and place for its usage, but even if it IS used poorly, I don't feel as if that is any reason for the pure venom that some pour out over this issue.

For some time now, I have read about all of the hate people have for the font.  In some circles, I would fear for my life if I even mentioned 'Comic Sans,' so I decided to do some interweb searching to find out just what was wrong with this font.  And I have come to one conclusion:  there is nothing wrong with i.

It seems as if most of the people who hate Comic Sans have no real reason for it.  Most of these people are sheeple who are hating because other pretentious idiots are haters.  The biggest reason that anyone will give for the hate--IF they give a reason--is that it is overused and used in inappropriate places.  Now, I can understand the not liking something that is used inappropriately, but the hatred goes much, much deeper.  There actually are entire websites devoted to the hating of Comic Sans.  Some people are trying to get it BANNED forever from the world.  Many haters seem to be 'designers' (or something) and are so pretentious that they must have a hard time breathing the lofty air where they live.  And we wonder what is wrong with this world when far too many are concerned and consumed with hating a fricking FONT!  Give me a break!

I also found it far too often that many of the haters seem to be haters of Microsoft--the company that brought Comic Sans into this world.  And I wonder if THAT isn't the big reason why the font is hated:  its association with Microsoft.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that there's a time and place for Comic Sans, but I don't hate it. I think that some people might feel that the usage of Comic Sans is pushing to make them feel happy and they don't like to be told when to be happy-it must be like laugh tracks, which I'm glad I can't hear because we'd probably have gone through a dozen televisions since I'd kick them in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Most of these people are sheeple who are hating because other pretentious idiots are haters"

    I could not have said it any better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless the type is very difficult to read--and there ARE some of those--I don't think about it much. I guess I'm not that much of a visual person. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...