Wednesday, August 01, 2007

WHY?

Construction Site 2

What is it about us that makes us want what we can't have? When on a diet, all I ever think about are the foods on my 'no' list--and that is ALL I want to eat. When someone tells me I can't do something, that is EXACTLY what I want to do. Human nature, I guess.

Today, the temp was hovering in the 90 degree area all day. I didn't want to leave the house and have to put up with the heat. Thank goodness, I didn't need to go anywhere. All well and good because I COULDN'T go out: the public works department was working on the sewer pipe at the top of our street, so I couldn't go anywhere even if I wanted. Yet, all I could think about was how unfair it was that I was stuck in the house against my will! (We live on a dead-end street, so the work completely cut us off from being able to drive off of our street. Of course, K parked one of our vehicles on the other side of the construction in case we HAD to get somewhere--we just would have had to walk a couple of blocks to get to the vehicle.)

I have always had the nature where if I am told I CAN'T do something, or I HAVE to do something, I want to do just the opposite. Even if it is what I wanted to do in the first place! When I was pregnant for my second, I was put on bed rest for about a week. Now, any woman who chases after a five year old child day in and day out, DREAMS of being able to stay in bed and do nothing. BUT, the minute I was told I HAVE to stay in bed, it was the LAST thing in the world I wanted to do. It actually ranked below 'clean up the mess the child with the flu just did' in terms of what I wanted to do.

And so, today, I felt as if I was a prisoner, trapped and forced to do something I didn't want to do. And as soon as the road opened up again, I felt no need to leave the house! Freud would have had a field day analyzing me! :)

2 comments:

  1. It's in the 90's here too. I haven't left the house in a week or so..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:53 AM

    You sound perfectly NORMAL to me! It is human nature to want what we are told we can't have or do.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...