Friday, March 20, 2009

Florida Mornings

Almost the best part of our trip to Florida were the mornings. I got to step out of the house, onto the lanai, and feed the birds. It was GREAT! And the best part was that we never see these birds here in the Great White North. Here are pics of some of them:


Just plain ducks--not sure what kind.



Ibises--and a muscovy on the left.



Three muscovy ducks. They don't seem to be the Einsteins of the bird kingdom. They wag their tails like a dog, sound like they are horking up a hairball when they try to 'talk,' and pump their heads when they walk. Very weird birds--and quite possibly my favorites.



Also, the muscovy isn't the most attractive in the bird kingdom. But they WERE grateful when I fed them!



Birds near the pond behind the house.



An egret hunting.



Two egrets and a mystery bird looking for food.



The sandhill crane that came to the back door every morning looking for a handout. He and I played 'catch'--I threw the bread and he tried to catch it before it hit the ground. He caught it 90% of the time. I think I could have handfed him--I just was VERY scared of his beak. They are BIG birds with VERY long beaks.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:43 PM

    Aw. I love these photos. How cool you got to be so close to them and feed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely was ideal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved that! How on earth did you score this house anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our friends had stayed in one of the condos that are managed by the same people who manage this house. I was surprised--when I did a search--just how many houses/condos there are for vacationers to rent in the Orlando area. And the prices are NOT to be believed--SO much better than hotels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:16 PM

    My husband's job will be taking to Florida we are hoping not before late fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a great time and I will be posting more about it. I'm still working on the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those top ducks are mallards.. Females.. The males are the ones with the bright green heads. We have four that frequent our pond.. Two of them pretty much spend all their time here. They come up to us whenever we walk out of the house wanting something to eat. They are completely gluttonous little things, but we enjoy having them around.. We named the two Donald and Daisy. We are that creative.. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have TONS of mallards around here and didn't think that's what those were--there seemed to be subtle differences between the two, so I convinced myself they were some other 'brand' of duck. :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...