Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Winter?

We are under a winter snow warning for tonight and tomorrow. They are calling for up to 16" of snow by the time it is all said and done. Fortunately, for this type of storm, we are too close to the lake for most of it to bother us, but 5 miles away it will be pretty darn nasty.

Yesterday, K put up the new stormdoor on the front of the house and I covered the windows with plastic. We are trying to do all we can this year to save on fuel costs. (Of course, we didn't want to do this in a timely manner, so we waited until the first storm was almost here! :) ) Living in an old house like this, there just is only so much one can do, though. At least we are doing something. I don't even want to think about how much we will be spending to heat this place this year.

Today I went to the grocery store to stock up--as I do every time they call for a winter storm. I act as if we live way out in the sticks and won't be able to get out for weeks at a time! Just another one of my quirks! Today was a bit quieter in the stores than has been the case for the past several days. Today is the first day of the firearm deer season, so the stores have been packed with hunters getting their supplies for deer camp. I stay far away if I possibly can. Most of these men--yes, there are women hunters, too, but I am only talking about the men, now--go to the grocery store only once a year: in time for hunting camp. You will find groups of men--sometimes wearing their camouflage outfits--wandering around the store like lost little puppies. To say they have no idea what they are doing is an understatement. I truly believe some of them get to their destination and find out they have only purchased beer, steaks, and toilet paper. But then, to some people, those things are all you need to have a party!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Nice metaphor :)
    We had tons of rain yesterday--tons. T-storms off & on all day. I am so NOT looking forward to snow! Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...