Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Back To Cooking

This year I will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in four years--and I'm kind of looking forward to it. After our youngest left home, I just didn't feel the need or desire to put on a big production for just the two of us, so we bought our dinner from a local grocery store. The food was very good and I only had to heat everything up, so we did this for three years. I suppose we could have gone to a restaurant to eat, but then we wouldn't have had any leftovers--and isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? :)

Anyway, for around $50 this is what we got for our dinner: a 10-13 pound turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a broccoli salad, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, rolls, pumpkin pie, and Cool Whip. (I think that was it.) I only had to make mashed rutabaga and the meal was complete. Everything was 'homemade'--real potatoes and gravy, etc. We always thought this was an excellent value and soooooo much easier than doing everything myself!

I never found Thanksgiving dinner to be a very difficult meal to prepare--it just is a lot of work. And, actually, it isn't so much the amount of work but the fact that so much has to be done last-minute that got to me. The 30 minutes to an hour before mealtime is so hectic. Oh, well, I will try it again and see how it goes!

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you will be surrounded by people you love and will have a pleasant day.

2 comments:

  1. I too made my first Thanksgiving dinner in 3 years! I soooooo wanted the leftover turkey! I won't tell what I paid for my dinner, though, because I should have shopped around! Hope your day was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meal turned out better than I expected. It was good to make the meal again. We ate till we couldn't move,of course, and had leftovers for days--I loved it! Of course, I don't know if I would have done any of it if I didn't have a dishwasher--I had to run it TWICE to get everything washed. And I STILL had some things to handwash. Why can't everything be disposable? :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...