Saturday, June 13, 2009

It Is Finished

I'm still trying to get over the loss last night, but it isn't happening. This will stay with me forever--just KNOWING that The Little Shit had his hands on the Cup makes me want to puke. I avoided having to see that until I opened one of my favorite Wings' blogs today and saw the picture. And all could see was red through my anger. Hopefully, the Wings' players feel the same way and will use this as motivation toward the inevitable Cup run of 2010.

While there aren't excuses for the loss, I feel there are more than a few explanations for why the Cup isn't in Detroit today. First, and foremost, is the fact that the league WANTED Pittsburgh to win. No, not in a 'conspiracy' sort of way, but in a subtle way--especially when it came to officiating. (And we won't even TALK about the 'discipline' that wasn't handed down during the playoffs. THAT is a black mark against the league and something that HAS to be addressed--and SOON.) The league wanted the players to be 'allowed' to play and show the skill level that is there. HA!!! The non-calls totally kept the skill players from being able to do what they do so well. The officiating was so inconsistent throughout the playoffs that the players had NO IDEA what was going to be called and what wasn't. I noticed hesitation on the part of the Wings in many cases--as if they weren't sure whether they could get away with something or not. And, human nature being what it is, I'm sure--at least subconsciously--many Wings hesitated because they KNEW the league wanted Pittsburgh to be victorious, and they weren't sure if they would get fair treatment from the refs. But, this is what the winning fans would call whining.

Any day of the week and twice on Sunday, the Wings would beat Pittsburgh if everything was equal--and NOTHING was equal in this series. Again with the officiating, but it seemed as if the Wings 'stopped' playing at different times because they thought a penalty would be called. And it took them way too long to get back into the game after realizing it was another non-call. This is something they will have to address next season, cause I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

The injury list is soooooo long for the Wings. If Datsyuk wouldn't have missed four games and if he would have come back 100%, the Wings would have won the series in no more than 5 games--no doubt at all. It is being said that Holmstrom and Cleary--and maybe Hossa--will be having surgery this summer. Lidstrom DID have surgery DURING the playoffs. In the Chicago series, Sharp speared Lidstrom in the balls and he needed surgery on one of his testicles--and he came back to finish out the playoffs! You CAN'T tell me he was 100% after THAT one! (And Patrick Sharp has moved WAY up on my despicable asshat list after reading about this!) AND Lidstrom already said at the All-Star break that he probably would need elbow surgery this summer. Rafalski, Samuelsson, and Zetterberg are also said to have had significant injuries that they were playing through. All in all, not much of a Red Wings team for the Penguins to have to fight against.

As for Hossa. Many people blame him for not doing very much, especially against Pitts. Granted, he didn't put up any big numbers in terms of goals, but he didn't do all that bad. Not any worse than some other players. Where were Hudler and Sammy? But, again, I think Hossa was playing through a significant injury. I feel badly for him to see his dream come to naught for the second year in a row. He gave a lot to the team and was good for the Wings. From everything that has been said and written, he was a team player and well liked both on and off the ice. Personally, I don't think he was utilized the best way, but that was Babcock's decision to make. I wanted to see Z-Datsyuk-Holmstrom on the first line and Hossa-Filppula-Franzen on the second. I believe that would have given more nightmares to any of the other 29 teams in the league than what they had with the Wings the way they were. I also think that Hossa's time as a Red Wing is done. With the salary cap the way it is, I don't know HOW Holland could pull a contract out of his ass for Hossa and still put out a Cup contending team again next year. BUT, if ANYONE can do it, Holland can. If Hossa goes elsewhere, I say good luck and thanks. He gave what he could to Detroit and came up short in the long rung. I have NO ill feelings toward him at all.

Next year's team WILL have a different look to it. Whether it is losing some familiar faces--Samuelsson, Hudler, Kopecky--and keeping Hossa, or KEEPING the familiar while losing Hossa and bringing up some of the Grand Rapid players, I really don't see the Wings losing a step. They have a great talent base and are so deep with who is in Grand Rapids, that I think they will continue to be Bettman's worst nightmare for many, many years to come.

The REALLY bright spot in the last 20+ hours is this: Mr Ilitch refused to acknowledge, or shake Bettman's hand last night when they 'met' under the stands. I don't blame Ilitch one bit. Bettman and him have hated each other from the dawn of time and Bettman has shown his bias against the Wings time and time again. The two of them have been on opposite sides of many issues through the years and Ilitch taking the side of the players during the lockout was something Bettman could not abide. Ilitch doesn't have to 'play nice' with Bettman and I don't blame him for not being a hypocrite. Good going, Mr Ilitch. Besides, Ilitch has more money than God, so what is Bettman going to do about it? Come up with MORE rules and regulations to hurt the Wings organization? Yeah, right--that has worked for you so many times over the years, hasn't it Gary?

I am really looking forward to next year. The season starts in 110 days--in Sweden! Wish I could be there--and hopefully, this will be the year I get to the Joe. GO WINGS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Makes me want to vomit... Lord Stanly in Shitsburgh...

    Go Flyers! (Next Year)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly hope that the Flyers kick some Penguin ass next year!! THAT'S the good thing that happened with them winning: EVERYONE will be targeting them like Detroit was this year. And I am waiting to see The Boy face down on the ice after Kronwall hits him into the second Tuesday of the following week the two(?) times the Wings play them!

    Bring it on--the hatred is just beginning to build! Pretty much even with the hatred of the Clucks right now.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...