Tuesday, October 18, 2005

And Life Goes On

C was discharged from the hospital on Sunday. Even though she is very sad at having to leave the baby here, she is very glad to be home and with her other kids. I talked with her earlier and she said she is doing fine. She is having a bit of difficulty walking, but that is understandable. Not only is there the pain from her incision, but she has that abdominal infection that has to completely go away. She also has a vein in her right arm that is infected now, along with the one in her left arm. I don't know, this just is one real bad time she has had.

Baby Grace is doing well. She has gained some weight and is a couple of ounces heavier than she was when she was born--this, of course, after her initial weight loss which happens to all newborns. She is now up to 8cc of food at every feeding and is able to suck on a pacifier. Of course, she doesn't know how to swallow food as she is still be fed through a feeding tube. She still hasn't needed any supplemental oxygen, so that is one very good sign. When I was there the other day, I was able to touch her through the isolette portholes--such soft skin! I lightly ran my fingers down her spine and she arched her back like a cat--so funny to see such a little one do that.

Grace has developed jaundice, which is quite common in newborns. They have her under the ultraviolet light and have to cover her eyes with a grey sleepmask to protect them. Not only does it look funny to see a 3 pound baby with a mask on, but the way it is attached is amusing. The mask is not held in place with a headband. Velcro "hooks" have been taped to her temples and the corresponding "loops" are on the mask, so the mask is Velcroed to her head! To say she is not amused is putting it mildly--she tries to pull the mask off every chance she gets.

All in all, things are going quite well. Thank God, cause things could be so much worse.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment! I was beginning to wonder if I'd somehow run you off :)
    Thanks for the update on C. You guys (and Grace) are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...