Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Great Idea or FAIL?

I managed to get pregnant way before some of the newest technology became commonplace for prenatal care.  While ultrasounds are done routinely today, I only had one with my second pregnancy--and that was because they suspected a problem.  (Turned out that nothing was wrong.)  One of the big questions that expectant parents need to answer is "Do you want to know the sex of your baby?"  Personally, I thought it was rather exciting to find out after birth whether my new child was a boy or a girl--even though I "knew" they both were girls before they were born.  We didn't have the opportunity to find out the baby's gender before birth--hell, there still were people giving birth to twins and it was a surprise!

Of course, someone would figure out a way to exploit this new technology and make money.  Some expectant parents are starting to throw 'gender reveal' parties.  After the ultrasound that determines the baby's sex, the doctor will write the sex on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope.  The parents will then take the envelope to a bakery and order a cake.  The bakery will open the envelope and use either blue or pink filling in the cake.  So, when the cake is cut into at the party, the parents and all of the guests get to find out the sex of the unborn child at the same time.  And celebrating ensues.

I guess this is kind of a cool idea, but I'm on the fence about it.  So, the question:  Is this a great idea or a great big FAIL?

4 comments:

  1. I think its a GREAT idea! And a FUN idea too.

    I was glad when I found out I was going to have a boy. I don't think I cold have handled a girl very well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm leaning towards it being a FAIL, but then, I NEVER have done 'cutesy.' ;) I can, however, see it being a fun thing.

    And I know for a fact that I could never have raised boys. I shudder to think. Although, with the trouble I had with the girls, boys might have been a better option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:42 PM

    I think it's a FAIL. Too cutesy for my taste. I'd probably enjoy a cookout where people place bets on the sex of the baby and then the envelope is opened. Personally, I think I'd prefer to be surprised. I still remember the time Mom and I were in line at a dept. store checkout behind a woman with a newborn, she told Mom that the ultrasound showed it was going to be a girl, so they had no boy clothes for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cookout idea--just as interesting/dramatic, but definitely not cutesy.

    I don't know how I would have felt if we had had the option of knowing, whether we would have wanted to know or not. But, as I said, I 'KNEW' all along I was having girls. Thank goodness I was right, cause we had NO boy names picked out! He probably would STILL be called Baby Boy K to this day. :D (NOT to be confused with My Baby Boy, however. ;))

    It does seem that there is quite a substantial percentage of incorrect results with the ultrasound 'sexing' of babies. That would suck eggs big time if someone decorated, bought clothes, etc, for one sex and have the baby be the other. Very costly, too.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...