Monday, April 05, 2010

Green Stamps



For those who have forgotten, or those who never knew, this is about something called green stamps.  Years ago, grocery stores would give 'green stamps' as a rebate/reward for shopping.  They were about the size of a postage stamp and had glue on the back.  You would wet the back and paste these stamps in books and when you had enough books, you could turn them in for merchandise.  Anyone that watched The Brady Bunch would remember the episode when the kids tried different contests to see who would win all of the family's stamps to use. 

One good thing to come out of The Mother's kitchen, was the stories.  We would sit around the table for hours at a time and listen as the various visitors tried topping each other with the most hilarious tales.  I have forgotten more stories than anyone can imagine--thankfully, The Youngest reminded me of this story a bit ago.

'Ann' had an appointment with her doctor--a yearly physical.  Of course, she needed to use the bathroom before seeing the doctor, but, as luck would have it, there was no toilet paper.  Not wanting to start yelling for some, Ann reached into her purse and produced some Kleenex, which she used.  She then went into the exam room, undressed, and waited for the doctor.

After the doctor and Ann spoke for a while, he had her 'assume the position' for her pelvic exam.  He sat at the end of the exam table and began what he was there for.  Suddenly, he appeared over the drape.  In his hand he was holding a strip of green stamps, which he had 'peeled' from Ann's nether region.  "Do you want these, or should I throw them away?" he asked Ann.  To put it mildly, she was more embarrassed than amused.  The amusement came later.  And any time she needed to use tissue from her purse, she made sure there were NO green stamps clinging.

7 comments:

  1. Holy WHAT? I TOTALLY love the new blog look/ lay out!

    *goes back to actually READ the blog posts*

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAHAHHA HAhahah AHahhahah AHhahahah HAhahHAh hAHAh AhA


    OMG!


    OAHHAHA haHA AH AHHAHAHAHHAHAhahHHAa


    Trying to comment - laughing too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:27 PM

    oh, gee, how embarrassing!

    I remember Green Stamps, mymom would get them at the grocery and let us kids paste them in the book very carefully. We were so excited when she finally had enough to get something! I wish they'd bring them back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always LOVED this story. Sounds like something that would happen to me. :D

    I, too, loved green stamps. They really had some nice merchandise you could get--and I would probably be able to furnish my house, considering how much I spend on groceries. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:35 AM

    I guess "gas cards" are today's Green Stamps. I don't have one, because I know that the gas discounts are a way to let "them" see what you're buying. And I don't use the brand of gas that the gas card requires.

    The store I go to does give you a free gallon of milk for every 9 you buy, but it's not the same as saving stamps and looking at the catalog and choosing what you want to save up for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About the only thing we 'get' these days are the rewards from our credit/debit cards. I don't know how much they really are worth, but last year for Christmas I traded points for gift cards from B&N. I was able to get all of the books for the grandkids that way. I guess we're going to use the cards anyway, so might as well get something back.

    And yes, it isn't quite the same as looking at the catalog and dreaming. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...