Sunday, May 01, 2011

All About The Silver

When K and I were about to celebrate our 25th anniversary, The Oldest started making noises about giving us a party.  I quickly put an end to that talk.  We were in the middle stages of problems with The Youngest and considering how close we came to breaking up over the problems with The Oldest, I had very little hope we would be together at our 26th anniversary--I really didn't think we would weather the storm a second time.  I couldn't see myself sitting around and smiling and pretending everything was hunky dory, so I said 'Nyet' to a party.  Now, so many years later, I wish we would have had the party.

Despite what people think, I believe a 25th anniversary party is less about the enduring love a couple has for each other and much, much more about the gifts they might get.  It is just like getting married all over again--and everything that is given is needed just as much after 25 years as it was when the couple was just starting out.  Think about it, after that many years, things are wearing out--all of the linens and small appliances need replacing, so a party with gift-giving is called for.  Okay, a lot of the stuff HAS been replaced during the 25 years, but, more likely than not, with the cheapest stuff that could be gotten away with.  Those 25 years are when the family is growing and the money is very, very tight--not much is left over for expensive towels and blenders and sheets and toasters.  So, bring on the party and bring on the gifts!  By my being so stubborn and pessimistic, we missed out on all that.

So, when do we get a second chance on a big, blowout party?  At the 50 year mark.  I really don't think we'll be needing any new linens and appliances at that time.  Hopefully, we won't be needing gripper railings for the shower and walkers.  ;)  Unfortunately, I think there will probably be an overabundance of these types of gifts:









There isn't anything really WRONG with these gifts, but just how many 50th anniversary tchotchkes does anyone need?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    I guess people think that the golden couple already has everything they need, and that's why there's so much crap with "50th" on it. I'll never have an anniversary, but if I did, I'd want people to give me plants that I could plant outside. I'd rather have a lilac bush than a plate I'd probably break-either accidentally or by throwing it at my spouse. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For our 25th, we got a couple of things with the 25 on them and that really was a couple too many. Just not worth having around--dust collectors is what they turn out to be. I like the plant idea--a rose garden, lilac bush, or new shade tree for the yard. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Janet too. I love the plant idea as opposed to all those other anniversary gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me think... I'm going to have to make sure people buy us really nice stuff for our wedding if we're going to be stuck with it for 25 years. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ziva: Yes, have a great registry selection. We didn't use a registry and got a whole lot of stuff that 'didn't fit in' with our style. And, of course, everything that wasn't the correct color, etc, lasted for the entire 25 years--and beyond. Surprisingly, I STILL have some towels in the rag bin that I got as wedding gifts. I also have some top sheets and pillow cases that I'm still using in the spare room. It either was a case of people buying REALLY good stuff for us or it is a 'they don't make things the way they used to' thing. I'm not sure which it is.

    Meleah: I'm SO happy we didn't get more than a couple of the knick-knacks! I have far too many things that need dusting, as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:29 PM

    My mom gave the silver tea service she got as a 25th anniversary present to my sister when she had her own 25th. I bet she's looking forward to unloading it on her own daughter down the road. Mom was glad she didn't have to dust and polish it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! My m-i-l unloaded her silver flatware on me--and I have never used it. I'll take stainless spoons and forks any day. Sterling is WAY too much trouble. (I'm not sure, but I don't think the flatware was an anniversary gift of hers--just an annoyance that she gladly got rid of.)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...