Thursday, October 25, 2007

On Flying and Reading

Surprisingly, with all of my phobias, I am not a white-knuckle flyer. Granted, I get a bit of the heebie-jeebies on take-off and landing, but all in all, I do quite well. When we went to Vegas, for the first part of the trip, we flew completely in the clouds--it was just like being in an episode of The Twilight Zone! Still, I was calm. The only time flying is a problem for me is when there is turbulence--I get a bit nauseous.

The worst part about flying is the cramped feeling you get--they pack you in like sardines in a can! From Chicago, we sat three people side by each--with me in the middle. The next time we fly, I will have to check on the cost to go first-class. (I know, it will probably be more than I want to spend.) I have trouble getting comfortable--whether it is in a vehicle or airplane--and it has to do with my being so short. No seat is made for short people--the back is too high, my feet don't touch the floor, the seat is too long, etc, etc. I find myself having to move too often, just to try and get comfortable, which never happens. I'm like a fidgety child--I'm sure I annoy everyone around me!

As I said, I do quite well as long as there is no turbulence. I was able to read for quite a while in the air, but when it got to be too bumpy, I had to stop and just listen to music. Thankfully, I was able to get a few winks of sleep--this helped a lot as I was feeling a little bit of motion sickness. I can't imagine having to 'be sick' in an airsickness bag. And that's where I would have HAD to do my thing because it is next to impossible to get up from your seat during a flight!

All of this is just a way for me to begin talking about the book I just finished: 'Clapton: The Autobiography' by Eric Clapton. While I WOULD be happy listening to EC sing the phone book, I am a harsher critic when it comes to what I read. I am happy to say it was an extremely fascinating read. The book is very honest--he admits all of his faults and talks openly about his addictions, love affairs, and unflattering parts of his life and personality. However, despite his truthfulness, the book never has that exploitative, tell-all feeling that other autobiographies sometimes have. He is straight forward and exposes himself, but doesn't drag others into the story if the need isn't there. (I noticed this especially when he talked of his affairs--with all of the famous women he was supposed to have had affairs with, he mentioned very few of them by name. And, mentioning them wouldn't have added to the story, actually.) He spoke of his music career, of his 'lost years,' of his recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, and his finally finding the 'love of his life' and his happiness with his wife and children--all very fascinating, especially for a fan such as I am. However, I think even non-fans would find the story of his life interesting--the man has had an extraordinary life and is finally content. And isn't that what we all want out of our lives: peace, contentment, and serenity--which, it seems, he has finally found.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to add that book to my Amazon wish list. I love to read auto-biographies and biographies. I'm always putting stuff on my wish list mainly so I can keep track of what I want to buy when the online shopping urge hits me. I think the only music related bios I have read was Mick Fleetwood's book about Fleetwood Mac and also a book written by David Bowie's ex wife. Oh yeah..also Tammy Wynette's book, Loretta Lynn's and another about Patsy Cline. All were good but my favorite was Tammy's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading 'Hammer of the Gods,' the story of Led Zepplin--quite a different story than the EC book. 'Hammer of the Gods' was DEFINITELY written for shock value--everything true, but shocking all the same. It was a very rock-and-roll book.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...