Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Randomness

--This week The Nephew is not with us. He came into town on Monday to talk to his teachers and to let us know he will be at home all week. The reason? His mother's brother was killed as a result of an ATV accident. How awful for The Nephew--first his dad's accident and now this!

--We just had the second of a number of repairs made to the Jimmy. For a while now, the interior electrical hasn't been right--the dome light doesn't always turn off, the radio goes off when the key is turned off (the radio is supposed to stay on for 20 minutes as long as the door isn't opened), etc. Turns out the switch in the door crapped out and needed replacing. This was caused by a problem with the door hinges, which need to be replaced. Also, we had the light come on telling us to have the 4-wheel drive checked--AND the other day, it got locked into 4-lo. (I guess K had a whole lot of fun driving down the highway to get it to the garage!) This, too, turned out to be an electrical problem and wasn't a big fix. I think we will have to seriously think about replacing the Jimmy or face nickel and dimeing(sp) ourselves to death!

--Once again, I have decided to lose some weight. HA!!! Anyway, considering my health--thyroid, over the age of forty, menopause, etc--everything points to my having to limit my carbs in order to lose at all. This, of course, brings me back to the South Beach Diet. I have done well on it at other times, so I'm hoping it will work again. I'm just waiting for my carb-cravings to go away!!!! And it DOESN'T help me one bit to have the Halloween candy calling me from the other room!

--So, in order to eat right to lose weight, I had to go grocery shopping. I can't believe HOW MUCH I SPENT! All we read and hear is how fat America is getting and how we have to eat right to maintain healthy weights, etc, etc. Well, try telling this to someone who can lower the price of healthful (I HATE using that word--'healthy' sounds so much better) foods! I'm telling ya, you have to have a damn good income in order to eat well! It is so much cheaper to eat a meal of Hamburger Helper than it is to eat fresh vegetables and lean meat! This just DOESN'T seem right on so many levels.

--It looks like we WON'T have snow for the trick-or-treaters. This, of course, is a rarity here--most years, kids have to wear their costumes over their snowsuits! However, it probably WILL rain and the wind will be gusty, so maybe it won't feel much different after all.

--I was talking to a friend the other night and she had to share something with me. She was talking to her cousin the other day: he was a year ahead of us in school, one of the popular kids (NOT someone I hung out with), and the leader of the 'in-crowd'. During their talk, they must have started talking about me, because he told her that he thought I was 'hot' in school. Well, thank the hell out of you!!!! Where were you when I was experiencing the worst years of my life: high school? Gee whiz--if I had only known. This is the third person who either wanted to date me or who thought more of me than I ever expected, while we were in school, and I never knew a thing about it. I really could have had a lot of fun during those years, if...OR I would have turned into a total slut. Either way, I wouldn't have wanted to slit my wrists with a wet noodle, that's for sure! :)

--And I can't close this without talking about my Red Wings. The game they played on Sunday was absolutely amazing. They beat the Canucks 3-2 and played a very good game. It was doubly good because they are on the west coast, and those games are brutal! Filppula had an assist, so this was two games in a row he had points--GO FIL!!!

Tonight, they played the Oilers. While they didn't play as well as they did the other night, they managed to get the first goal and keep it tied throughout the rest of the game. As the game was winding down, with 25 seconds left, I was thinking, "DAMN! Now it has to go to overtime." and the most amazing thing happened: Filppula totally beat Roloson on the short side and won the game! Baby Boy is on a roll! He now has 4 points in three games--2 goals and 2 assists.

The Wings now have a six-game winning streak going. Z got his tenth goal of the season and this has him tied for first place--he has now had at least one point in every one of this season's games. And he still is at the top of the list in points for the NHL AND he has the most goals. Holmstrom isn't that far ahead with 14 points and 8 goals. Osgood has won all of the games he has started so far--not bad for a back-up goalie! Not bad at all. I can't let myself get my hopes up, however. After all, this is JUST the start of the season--but it has been fantastic so far.





--Edmonton Oilers' Dick Tarnstrom, left, and goalie Dwayne Roloson can't stop Detroit Red Wings' Valtteri Flippula from scoring the 2-1 winning goal, during the third period of NHL hockey action, at Edmonton's Rexall Place on Tuesday, October 30, 2007.
(AP Photo/John Ulan, The Canadian Press)--

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:47 PM

    A high school friend of mine lost 60 pounds since last Nov. on Weight Watchers. We ate at her house last week and the food was yum, dessert too. I can't be bothered to cook low cal meals when I want to lose weight. I just do Slim Fast and cut out the starches and sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the last Weight Watchers changed their program, I can't lose weight on it. Years ago I did very well 'on program,' but I just can't handle the carbs these days. The last time I tried Weight Watchers--and I kid you not--I actually gained weight! The joys of getting older--I remember when I was young, I could lose 5 pounds in a weekend just by not eating any junk! Oh, the good old days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to lose weight... I did the low carb thing the last time I lost a bunch of weight and yes it was very expensive! Not to mention I was always eating all the meat around here. Poor hubs had to settle for whatever was left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, with K's kidney problems, he is supposed to be limiting his protein--on South Beach, I eat LOTS of protein. He is supposed to be getting more carbs and veggies--I eat no carbs and lots of veggies. I figured I could make one meal with a lot of veggies and we can share! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...