Thursday, March 09, 2006

Popstar

I have known some strange people in my life, but the young couple who lived up the street several years ago were stranger than most. Here is their story. (C, you will enjoy this.)

B and D were a young married couple who moved into the house on the corner. They got to be friendly with my friend, C, because she lived next door. I met them because of C. D was a nurse and B worked at the hospital--in radiology, I think. She was a blond ditz. She was VERY fond of herself and truly thought she was a great, world-class beauty--she often told the story about how B's boss told her (once) how beautiful she was. She was cute, but nothing to write home about.

Getting to know D, we exchanged bits and pieces of our lives. My story was quite mundane: married, two kids, stay-at-home mom, husband a former sailor. Nothing to get overly excited about. D's story, on the other hand, was quite fantastic. While HER life wasn't anything too unusual, the story she told about B was not to be believed--LITERALLY.

B wasn't yet 30 years old. In his young life, he had done quite a bit of things that probably would have made him famous enough for me to have heard of him. Actually, (and all of this is according to what D said), he had been quite famous. He, supposedly, had written and recorded a very well-known pop song and had a hit with it. (This was before MTV and videos, and his career was pretty much over by the time MTV came into being. This was why we didn't know his face.) He wrote and played with John Mellencamp, Neil Diamond, and others. He was quite good friends with Neil Diamond and Neil even called on the phone to talk to B. Of course, whenever anyone famous called, D would happen to be gone, so she never ACTUALLY talked with anyone famous--she never met any of them, either. She claimed he was in a Mellencamp video--of course, he wasn't featured, so you could pretend it MIGHT have been him. Then, one day, I happened to see a "classic" video on MTV and it was of the person D claimed to be her husband, singing one of his big hits. There was NO WAY this was the same person who lived up the street from me and I mentioned the lack of resemblance there was, to D. She had an excuse: B had been in a race car accident and had to have extensive plastic surgery to fix him up--this, and the fact that the music company sold his stage name to someone else, were the reasons the video didn't look like her husband. Okay. It was about this time that I started to distance myself from her. She began to scare me and I didn't want to be too close if she went completely off the deep end. Eventually they moved to another part of town and then left altogether. I don't know where they are today.

Now, I personally, never heard B talk about his famous friends or singing career--it was all D that talked about it. So I don't know if they shared this fantasy life or if it was only her. The thing that scares me is they had a child before they left from here--yes, they procreated. At least once. Their child(ren) will have MANY years of therapy ahead of them--God help them! (Oh, and before I forget, D's main reason for getting pregnant in the first place was because her older sister was pregnant--couldn't let the older sister please the parents more than she could!)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:23 AM

    You forgot to mention, she named the firstborn after the singer he was supposed to be! I think it is me as we have had two more sets of very strange neighbors over the years-good idea to move to the country! I did enjoy it-forgot the race car thing!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better living though chemistry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. C...I also forgot that they drove a Fiero--which they purchased by using a credit card for the downpayment!

    RT...I'm not sure WHY she(they) was so delusional--could have been chemical-related! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...