Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Telegrams

We received one telegram in our married life and it wasn't for a good reason. We were living in Charleston, South Carolina--K was in the navy--and we didn't have a phone. A telegram came to us one afternoon and it said we were to call my mother ASAP. Of course, when you get one of those, you panic rather quickly cause you know it isn't good news. And this was not good news. As it turned out, K's identical twin brother had been in a very serious motorcycle accident in California, where he was living. There was really no more news than that, just that he was in bad shape. He died less than a week later from complications.

Now, the reason I even told this story is this: Western Union, as of January 27, 2006, no longer sends telegrams! I couldn't believe it--the end of an era. I really think it should have been bigger news--I just found this out a couple of days ago. Oh, my goodness, I think I'm old.

2 comments:

  1. I still have the telegram the Army sent my grandmother letting her know my father had been wounded in Germany...

    It is a end of an era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Western Union said the reasoning behind the decision was the heavy usage of email and fax. Somehow, I can't imagine getting a fax or email saying a loved one had been injured or killed.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...