Sunday, September 28, 2008

Let's Get Ready To Ramble

I guess I don't have all that much to ramble about, but here goes.

First, we are not at home. We got to the Twin Cities Saturday afternoon and I think this is the first moment I have had to actually relax and surf the interweb. We have been going constantly and I am so exhausted already, I don't know how I will manage for the next few days. It seems as if every minute of our time here has been planned for. Oh, well, just another vacation I will have to recover from when we get home.

**********

Of course, we have been spending every moment possible with A and her husband. Going to their place is like nothing I have ever experienced. They live in a very small two-bedroom duplex--with two dogs and five cats. The dogs each weigh around 60 pounds and think they are puppies--and lap dogs. If the two of them aren't rough-housing, they are trying to climb in your lap. For someone like me--I only have an extremely anti-social cat, one who doesn't even seem to exist at times--the constant attention from these large creatures is quite overwhelming. Then, of course, you have the cats. One cat we really think is a pretend cat--he doesn't show his pure white body for ANYONE to see. A dragged him out last night just so we could see he actually DOES exist. The orange cat isn't too sure he likes me--I happened to decide that HIS chair is the most comfortable for me to sit in. He does, at times, just sit across the room and glare at me. He and I made friends--sort of--because I will gladly scratch his cheeks for as long as he wants. He STILL isn't happy that I sit in his chair, but... The 'middle' cat thinks she is a princess and expects to be treated as such. She will, whenever she wants, rub against your leg or hand, but resists being pet unless it is her idea. And she WILL hiss at any opportunity, just because she can. The two youngest cats are siblings and just like to smell you. It is a bit disconcerting when a cat will jump on your lap and proceed to sniff every inch of your face--and then stare into your eyes for a long length of time. I never know what they want and it makes me a bit jumpy. Walking into their house is like walking into an animal boarding kennel.

**********

We went to the zoo today and really had a good time. I have decided that I want to keep prairie dogs as pets in my backyard. I could have spent all day just watching them--they are very, very fun.

**********

Tomorrow K and I will be shopping all day. Now, I'm not too sure how much BUYING we actually will do, but I know I need to visit Lush, so there is one purchase I will make. Maybe I'll be a one-woman economic recovery solution. :)

**********

We are, of course, in town for the Eagles concert on Tuesday night. I am so excited I can't stand it. And wouldn't you know, that happens to be the first night a Wings pre-season game is being telecast! And yes, I have the recorder ready to record it. :)

**********

So, for the pre-season already, the Wings have won 2 and lost 2. Could be better, but definitely could be worse. It will be fun to see the entire team together when the season begins. Only 10 days and 20 hours!

**********

It was very sad to hear that Paul Newman had died this weekend. He was a very good actor and starred in some of my favorite movies of all time: The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Slap Shot.

**********

I have never put down the story of why I am estranged from my family--at least not the ENTIRE one. I am working on the story and will be posting it within the next few weeks. It will be long--and hopefully NOT boring--so I will post it in installments. Watch for it--I think it will give a better insight into why I am the way I am.


3 comments:

  1. My goodness that's a lot of pets! :)

    Cats are so funny... I admit, I'm not that crazy about them, but I don't think there is any other species on earth that are as diverse in their personalities and habits than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my daughter has more compassion for animals than she has a right to because she works at a vet's. Both of her dogs are Australian shepherd mix rescues and her cats are either rescues or fosters that she kept. She really needs to live somewhere that has 40 acres attached!

    Not only do cats have the diverse personalities that makes them so fun to have around, many times one cat will have multiple personalities. It sure keeps things interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:45 AM

    glad you are having a good time. miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...