Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Political Issue

For anyone who has been living under a big rock, I have an announcement: we are in the midst of a political campaign! I have, for the most part, been ignoring it. When I analyzed this fact, I came away with one reason for the ignoring: I don't want to alienate any of my readers who I consider dear friends. From reading other blogs, I am fairly certain that my political views are very different from some of my favorite people, so I just want to 'play nice.' And, for the most part, this is what I will do. However, there is one political issue that I am extremely passionate about, so I will do my every-four-year post stating my position. I trust that those readers of mine who feel differently will just agree to disagree.

I am 100% against abortion. There, I said it. I could call myself pro-life, but that doesn't really do me justice. I feel there are two kinds of people, those who are against abortion and those who are for it--I don't care for the terms 'pro-life' and 'pro-choice.' Really now, how many people are there exactly who are against life? Ridiculous. And I am 'pro-choice'--I believe when a woman finds out she is pregnant, she already made her choice: whether or not to keep her legs together. (DON'T hit me up on the rape and incest issue. Every place I looked for statistics on how many abortions are performed as a result of rape, incest, or the mother's health say that less than 1% of all abortions are for these reasons--COMBINED.)

Okay, give me a chance here. I could give you the Biblical reasons for my feeling as I do--Psalm 139:13 states "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." for example--but I won't. Anyone who has debated abortion has either used the Bible as a reason why abortions are wrong, or has heard the arguments. I, however, will give you my personal reasons--without 'facts' from any source other than my own heart.

While I have always been anti-abortion, it never was really personal for me. And I am deeply grateful. My heart aches for any woman who has gone through an abortion--I can't imagine. However, 12 years ago I had a very personal experience that brought my beliefs home for me.

I received a phone call in the afternoon of 5 July 1996, telling me that my oldest daughter had gone into premature labor and that despite everything the doctors did, she gave birth. The baby was 11 weeks early. She was being rushed 100 miles to the nearest NICU--which happened to be in the town where I live. I was going to be at the hospital to meet the ambulance and see my first grandchild for the first time.

NOTHING prepared me for seeing my granddaughter. She was only 2lb 7oz. To put this into perspective, go to your pantry/cupboard and find a bag of brown sugar. Now, imagine it weighing seven ounces more--that is what my granddaughter weighed. She not only was smaller in size than a Cabbage Patch doll, she weighed less, too. Her arms were so thin that an adult's wedding band slipped onto her arm easily. If you have never seen, in person, a baby this small, you cannot imagine the horror. The worst part, though, was watching her breathe. As she sucked in breath, her chest would collapse so that it touched her spine--and this happened each time she breathed. I have never been so upset, so horrified, and so saddened in my entire life. My first thought was, "This baby will die before morning." I couldn't imagine how I was to talk to my daughter when I got home--how do you tell a mother that her newborn was about to die? I didn't have one iota of optimism over the fate of this precious baby.

As I stood watching over the baby, my mind began to wander. At one point it occurred to me that, had it been my daughter's wish, eight hours earlier this baby could have been aborted. This living, breathing child could have been killed just because someone didn't want her. The thought was even more horrifying to me because I watched her struggle and fight for her life. It was very hard, but this little being kept breathing, kept wanting to live. She was still alive in the morning. We, as human beings, have a will to live--and she proved how strong that will is. Today, she is a delightful, beautiful, smart, athletic, joy to be around. And she could have been dumped in some garbage heap if my daughter wanted. My daughter was a senior in high school, basically homeless, wandering from place to place with her boyfriend, when she found out she was pregnant. It never crossed her mind to get rid of the 'fetus.' She also never thought about abortion any of the other six times she has been pregnant--even though she has problem pregnancies and has given birth to one stillborn and two more preemies.

Now, onto my other daughter. She cannot get pregnant. She has done the fertility clinic bit and it hasn't worked. They can't afford to try in vitro--it just costs too much. She wants a baby so badly that I swear she would slap anyone she found out had an abortion. Not only would it hurt her to see someone get rid of something she wants so badly for herself, but abortions hurt her on another front: adopting. Right now, it is hard to adopt a baby--there just aren't enough to go around. And if they could find one, the cost of adopting is prohibitive for them--it costs about as much to adopt a newborn as it does to go through in vitro. So, if they can't afford in vitro, they can't afford to adopt. Partly due to abortions being so readily available, there are not as many babies put up for adoption as there used to be. And people such as my daughter and her husband are hurt by this.

Although the majority of abortions are for birth control--I DON'T have statistics, but it seems as if this is the case--a large amount of abortions are done because the 'fetus' might not be 'perfect.' Before anyone has a stroke over that last statement, I would suggest watching an Oprah-type show, reading a celebrity gossip column, or surfing a message board. After doing those three things, you will know that I am right. There are A LOT of people who want everything in their lives to be perfect--and will tolerate nothing BUT perfection. Should one of these women have genetic testing while pregnant, I don't believe she would hesitate aborting. THIS frightens me. While none of us would want to see a child of ours suffer through a terrible illness, genetic testing really can't tell whether a child WILL have a particular problem or not--nor can it tell how severe the problem might be. There may be no indication whatsoever that the child has a problem--it just might be a genetic indication.

I am overweight and have psoriasis--and both of these conditions seem to be genetically caused. (The jury is still out, but every indication is that genes play a major role in both.) So, if someone who wants perfection had a 'fetus' that tested positive for either condition, is that a reason to abort? I might not be great to look at, but as far as having something to contribute, I think I have a right to life. I also have high blood pressure and the beginning of 'sludge' in my carotid artery--both indications of possible heart disease. And it wouldn't be a wonder if I should develop heart disease cause it runs in the family--and can be detected genetically. Does this mean I should have been aborted? I don't have heart disease, but I MIGHT develop it--but I might NOT. But genetically I am predisposed to heart disease. A dilemma.

I don't believe I could ever change someone's mind about abortion, just as my mind couldn't be changed. All I intended to do with this post is to explain my position. This is my passionate political issue, plain and simple. I hope I don't lose any readers because of it.

8 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree with every single word!! I'm also against it because of the lack of information given to mothers of the after effects.. I know a cuople of people who have had abortions and their lives were literally wrecked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:17 PM

    You are sooo allowed to have your opinions. and its YOUR blog to voice them. Im glad you did, and even though we have different views, I still LOVE you.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls--opposite ends of the spectrum and I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to let you know how much your post touched me. I'm a respiratory therapist (run the vents and perform resusitation) who works critical care including the NICU. I'm amazed by the babies there. Like your granddaughter I take care of so many babies who could have been aborted or could have been given up on and yet as fragile as they are, they are fiercely resilient too. To me, that is evidence of the drive of life and of a Creator. Just last night at work I held a "little man" who came to us at 24 weeks and only 18 ounces. Let me repeat that: 18 ounces. It's been a few weeks and he's now double his body weight. He went from being on a vent and coding every time we moved him to last night, where he was on a CPAP machine (with a mask) for a few hours and off for a few hours. During the off hours we held him, talked to him, and read stories to him. He now looks and acts like a real baby. I am constantly amazed and humbled by the beauty, the potential, and the goodness I see in his eyes as he responds lovingly to our touch and voices.

    As far as I'm concerned, his mother's right to abort him ended with his right to live.

    I was ambiguous on the issue until I trained in the NICU. Although I don't judge personally women who have chosen abortion I'd love to give them a NICU tour before any woman does choose that option just so they know what they're taking away from themselves.

    Thank you for post. You re-inspired me to work hard for those little bubbas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glenna: You brought tears to my eyes with your comment. And I thank you so very much for the work you do. While I have seen the wonderful miracles that happen in the NICU, I also saw heartbreak. I don't know if I could work with those precious little ones day after day, knowing that some of them will not make it.

    While I understand that there are people who feel differently than I do--see my last comment--and I feel they have every right to disagree with me, I still don't understand why they can't 'see' my point of view. (And I'm sure they can't understand why I can't feel the way they do.) This is why this issue will always be a 'hot button' one.

    Thank you, again--God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kate,
    Yes yes and yes! I'm on your team, and I know of many who are as well. Thank you for that heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading about your granddaughter brought tears to my eyes. What a miracle life is! Thank you so much for sharing this with me. As you already know, I agree with your position.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been 'my story' of why I see abortion as wrong. As I said, when you get to see a child that tiny fighting for her life, you KNOW that women don't have 'fetuses' in their bellies, but children. I don't think the doctors even thought that my granddaughter was going to live--or that she was going to be 'right' as she grew older. She now is 15 years old and is an absolute delight--and she is perfectly normal. I know we can't 'make' anyone change their mind about this issue, but we WILL continue to pray that God will work in their hearts so that they can see the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...