Friday, September 09, 2005

Get Thee To The Batcave!

Wednesday night, all night, I sat in my car, in the driveway. Here's the story:

It was some time after 1:30 AM (technically, Thursday morning) and K was working the night shift. I was sitting at the counter in the kitchen and the cat was sleeping several feet away. Out of the corner of my eye I seemed to see something move. Sure enough, flying around the light was a bat. Actually, it was more of a BAT! I know it took less than a second to register as to what I was seeing, but I still didn't move--that is until it left the kitchen and came back. By now, I was screaming. Don't exactly know what the cat was doing--it was every woman for herself. I ran from the kitchen, through the dining room, into the living room, and finally into the bedroom. I peeked out the door and saw the damn thing swoop through the living room and knew I had to get out of the house. Quickly I pulled on a pair of jeans, grabbed the cordless phone, and left out the front door. Just for a fleeting moment did I think I was going to get my purse and cell phone--it was NEVER going to happen. My cell phone was in the kitchen and my purse--with my keys--was in the dining room, so I wasn't EVER going to go back in that direction until the BAT was gone. I didn't worry too much about being stranded outside because I had my cordless phone--STUPID ME! Of course, the phone didn't work outside. I had planned on calling K to see if he could come home, but now I had no way of doing that. I couldn't even go to one of the neighbors, as it was so late and everyone else was sleeping. So I sat in my car.

Shortly after 6:00 AM, K came home. He searched the entire house from the upstairs through the basement, and found nothing. He figured the BAT had left the way it got in, or had found a place to sleep for the day. So, with that in my mind, I finally got some sleep. That afternoon, after we had gotten up, we decided to go to C's house and bring Noelle's birthday gift--her birthday had been on Wednesday. We visited with the kids for a short while--they had to get to sleep--and went to visit K's sister, and then we came home. About this time, it was after midnight. K thought that if the BAT was still in the house, it would have come out to feed and he might be able to find it. Sure enough, there was the BAT, just clinging to the wall in the breakfast nook. K managed to get the thing out of the house and all was well, again. No, nothing will ever be completely well--we have no idea how the thing got into the house in the first place, so we can't be sure another one won't find it's way it! Pleasant thoughts.

On that note, I hope you all have a good weekend!

No comments: