Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mindless Chatter

I haven't done a random post in a while, so here goes.

Saturday, 07/07/07, is supposed to be 'the biggest wedding day of the century.' I guess more people are relying on luck rather than good old-fashioned work in order to keep their marriages together?!?! Hmmm.

**********

K has been cleaning up areas of our yard that have needed it for a long time. We have had some bushes growing for several years that he says are raspberry bushes. Unfortunately, they have grown wild for so long that the berries are minuscule, so he decided they have to go. (Thank goodness.) Anyway, while he was removing them, he noticed a rabbit had made its home amongst them. Today I saw the rabbit fixing up its new home: in the hill that slopes down to my wall garden. When I went to look, it had dug a hole into the hillside and filled it with dead grass and fur. I'm not sure if it is making a nest to give birth or if it moved young ones. And so, my wildlife saga continues...

**********

Word came down today that Detroit did indeed offer Hudler a contract, so he will stay for a couple of more years. Now if they only can make him grow a little more, then he will have staying power! ;) (He is only 5'9" and 178lbs.)

They still are saying that Grigorenko will be in the line up this season. Last word is that he is having visa troubles, though. It will be interesting to see him play. After all, before his accident a couple of years back, he was predicted to be the next up-and-coming superstar. Time will tell.

**********

I have been a horrible cat-mommy: it has been almost two years since our cat has been in for a check up. And that isn't good because she is 14 years old. Last year when she was due for a check up, we were committed to other things that couldn't be put off, so we were going to wait till later in the year. Unfortunately, it turned to winter before we got her in and I wasn't about to subject her to the snow and cold. (It is an ordeal to bring her in, as it is. She moans and groans--VERY vocally--the entire time we are transporting her, and she gets very nervous. She pants, sweats through her paws, and drops a lot of fur whenever she needs to go into the vehicle. Not her thing, at all.) Well, we finally got her in on Tuesday and she got a clean bill of health. It is recommended that she has her teeth cleaned, so we will have to schedule that within the next couple of weeks. Our biggest obstacle, though, will be finding food for her. She now is supposed to be on a 'senior' diet, and it is proving to be a bit of a problem. I can find dry food, no problem, but I will have to do a bit of a search for wet food--she eats a little of each every day. I guess this is just one more reason for us to do more road trips!

**********

Speaking of cats, if you have never seen this site (cats that look like hitler. com), go. It is quite funny. For those of you who don't particularly like cats, you can point at the pictures and say, "See! I told you cats are evil!" And for those who like cats, there are just cute pictures of cats who have unfortunate markings.

**********

CNBC is reporting that Bill Gates is no longer the richest man in the world. Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim has now taken over the title. Whatever. The thing that I find disturbing, though, is that Slim's fortune is equivalent to 8% of Mexico's gross domestic product. For Gates to have 8% of the US economy, he would have to have at least $13 trillion. About half the population of Mexico lives on less than $5 a day. Now THIS is more disturbing than the rich/poor divide in the States. Here is the story.

**********

And there is no better time in the year to update oneself on first aid, so here is a link to 10 Useless, or Even Dangerous, First Aid Myths. An interesting read.

5 comments:

  1. I will be at a wedding on 7/7/07....I'll have to share the trivia!!! =) Have a great weekend, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husbands uncle looks like his mom's dog. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitler cat though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Interesting story on the world's richest guys. Gates gives away a lot of his wealth through his foundation. Wonder how much Slim gives away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. burg: My cat is a 'half-Hitler' cat: she only has half of a mustache. Actually, I think of it as more of a 'beauty mark' than a mustache. :) (Too funny about your husband's uncle!)

    chattanoogan: I just read another story on Slim taking over first place and it stated that the reason Gates isn't tops anymore is BECAUSE he gives away so much of his money. As he has said, he wants to give it all away and have nothing left when he dies. And the story didn't say HOW much--if any--that Slim gives away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting post, CMK!

    all this time i've been using peroxide on my boo-boos. good to know i need to stop doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...