Saturday, July 21, 2007

8 Things College Edition Meme

Burg posted this meme the other day and left it open for anyone to do. I found it was something I actually could write about, so here goes.

There are a few rules:
- Each player must post these rules first.
- Each player starts with eight random facts relating to college.
- Tagged people post their eight things and these rules.
- End your post by ‘tagging’ eight new people to play.
- Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog for these instructions.


1) I have been to two universities and I'm still at the freshman level.

2) The first university I went to was right after high school. It was--and is--very well known as an engineering school. NOT exactly up my alley, but I couldn't afford to go away to school.

3) I left the first school shortly after midterm of the first semester I was there. K had just been home on leave and our talks were beginning to get 'serious,' so I figured we weren't too far off from getting married. I decided to find a job so I could save money for 'when.' We married a year later.

4) I slept through every one of my algebra classes at this school. The teacher gave me dirty looks every day--that is until she handed me my graded midterm exam. I got every answer correct. That's when she understood that I slept out of pure boredom. (I should have been in a more advanced class, but I figured it was an easy 'A.')

5) The second university I attended was here where we live now. It is more of a liberal arts school--perfectly suited for what I wanted. I started out wanting to get my high school teaching degree, majoring in math. I then changed to English as a major. I only went for a year to this school because of financing--couldn't afford it anymore.

6) My second semester at this school I got a 4.0 grade point average and got on the Dean's list. I was very proud. And I did it while raising two girls, taking care of the house, and having a border living with us. It was a bit hectic.

7) At the time I attended the second school, there weren't all that many non-traditional students. A good many of my classmates were young enough to be my kids. The age of the students didn't bother me too much, but the day I walked into a class where I was the oldest one there--and that included the TEACHER!--I wondered what the hell I was doing.

8) The last time I thought about going back to school, I decided I would go into computer sciences of some sort. That was a few years back. Today, I don't really care if I never get a degree. I take classes of all sorts whenever the mood strikes--whether on the college level or 'enrichment' type--and that is more than good enough for me.

Like burg, I won't tag anyone for this. Just do the list if you should happen to feel like doing it--and let me know so that I can read your list, too.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:41 PM

    very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:05 PM

    and... TELL THEM! Tell them the TV recording! (Now that would be hilarious .. at least it was to me!)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...