Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Eating Diet Food

The other day I went into the pantry to find something to eat. Because I wasn't really, truly hungry, I knew that the only reason I was looking for food was pure boredom. And that is a big part of my weight problem. But, I'm not going to talk about my weight.

After rummaging around the pantry for a few minutes, I came across a semi-empty package of Weight Watcher dessert cakes. I believe they were double-fudge chocolate or something along those lines. Anyway, the words 'chocolate,' 'cake,' and 'dessert' all screamed 'EAT ME,' so I did. Has anyone noticed that when you are not on a diet, diet food DOES. NOT. TASTE. GOOD? I found that out very quickly. (I also ignored the fact that I don't remember WHEN I bought said dessert cakes. It has been a loooooong time since I pretended to be on a diet, so that just may be part of the reason why the cakes didn't taste very good.)

It is truly amazing how, when one is very hungry--like when on a diet--the most God-awful stuff tastes decent. I mean, really, when would you VOLUNTARILY eat a rice cake, other than when on a diet? Brussel sprouts wouldn't be around if it wasn't for people dieting. (I do have to admit to liking them--but only if they are floating in butter and are sprinkled with salt! NOT recommended when one is dieting.) Most of the Weight Watcher frozen dinners don't taste much better than the cardboard box they come in--unless you are 'on program.' THEN they are the most delicious things ever made. There must be a mathematical equation that can explain the ratio between how hungry a person is compared to how good diet food seems to taste. There MUST be an equation, but I'm not the one to come up with it!

One thing that should have been a clue to how good/bad the 'cake' would taste is this: the fact that it is a 'diet dessert.' Now, isn't that what is called an oxymoron--of the highest level? I'm sorry, but it is my experience that if something is called 'diet,' good for you,' healthy,' or 'low calories,' it probably is not going to taste good. Some may disagree with me, but I stand by my opinion.

And on that note, all of this talk about food is making me hungry. I know I have strawberries in the frig (fruit: good for you), and angel food cake (egg whites and flour: good for you), and vanilla ice cream (milk--okay, cream, but still dairy: good for you), so I think I will go and make myself a strawberry shortcake. I guess I was wrong--you CAN eat stuff that is good for you and have it taste delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    I am SO with you on this. My pet peeve is how many food commercials you see when you are dieting... and it all looks delicious. I swear, there has to be a little hamster in my brain that starts running on the wheel the second I see food. *sigh* I always said if I didn't like so dang many things (spinache, brussel sprouts)I might actually quit eating. yeah. Who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried those Lean Cuisine Paninis? I really like them...especially the steak and cheese one. The chicken, mushroom and spinach one is yummy too.

    Brussel sprouts...mmm yummy. I'm with you on the butter and salt on 'em. I did find a really good very lo-cal butter in a squirt bottle that I use on my veggies. I can't remember the name of it yet but I have to go to the grocery store tonight after work and will get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi, I must admit that the 'diet foods' today are much better than they used to be. Still, they can't compare with the 'real' stuff. :)

    Yes, sue, I agree--if I didn't like to eat so many things I wouldn't have problems with the weight, either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:55 AM

    A prodigious doublet of shoes, dialect mayhap not well-grounded about the most gorgeous, not the highest priced, nor is the retinue pinpoint, still, it usually takes consumers to peregrination everyone, Christian Louboutin Outlet
    resolve service perquisites from ipod high spirits shoes nurture not to change, perhaps desired,nevertheless the injured indeed.http://www.getasicsaustralia.com
    An incredibly lay of the land you may have encountered, walked nearly prior to the display cabinets in countless styles of shoes you find overwhelming, plausibility to counterpart. The expense is perfect lately isn't alluring, like pricy, self-satisfied look out of mould, guess good-looking those who consider old-fashioned ... ethical to be altogether thrilled with unaffectedly difficult. Pick preferred, finally opt for pair, wear respective days find unconscious foot sport, or ugh to repress their clothes,http://www.mislouboutinaustralia.com
    the best ways to accomplish that time? Offer up'd slightly painful to procure to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:10 AM

    Sometimes seasons reasons some shoes fair effectiveness be[url=http://niketrainersuksale.webeden.co.uk]Nike Air Max[/url]
    temporarily do not fundamental an opportunity[url=http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com]Toms Shoes Sale[/url]
    endure such shoes we should preferably[url=http://addnikecanadastore.snappages.com]Nike Shoes Online[/url]
    politely double-cross them in[url=http://louboutintrainersuk.blog.co.uk]Christian Louboutin Shoes[/url]
    set upright position in edict to avoid unnecessary injure to shoes[url=http://salelouisvuittonuk.webeden.co.uk]Louis Vuitton Shoes[/url]

    Although if the insole in actuality is poor, it would need to perform a moderate engagement and sea water gently scrub. Be struck by to be distinguished that, do not use chemical cleaning agents cleaning, or they're going to represent the insole the outside of fabric off.[url=http://shoppradabagsuk.webeden.co.uk]http://shoppradabagsuk.webeden.co.uk[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...