Sunday, July 08, 2007

Recommended

I don't usually recommend TV shows because my tastes are rather eclectic. Actually, I seem to favor my 'masculine side' an awful lot--I watch many shows that are marketed to males 18-35 years old! Examples: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Firefly, Farscape, The Shield, etc. But, I have just found a new show that is quickly becoming one of my favorites and I have to recommend it: Burn Notice. This show is on the USA Network and only two episodes have been shown so far. It is called a 'comedy action' show and I'm loving it. It is all about a spy who has been 'fired,' or 'burned.' He winds up in his home town of Miami, with no resources and no idea why he has been burned. This is what USA Network says about it:

WHAT IS BURN NOTICE?

When spies get fired, they don't get a letter from human resources.

They get BURNED...

The action/spy genre gets a refreshing update with USA Network's newest original series, Burn Notice. Jeffrey Donovan stars as Michael Westen, an international spy who suddenly finds himself blacklisted. Dumped in his hometown of Miami without money or resources, Michael struggles to put his life back together and find out why he's been burned. In the meantime, he uses his unique skills and training to help people in need ... mostly people who can't get help from the police.

Michael is joined by Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar) an ex-IRA operative, who also happens to be an ex-girlfriend; and Sam (Bruce Campbell), a washed-out military intelligence contact who's being used by the feds to keep tabs on Michael.

He's also forced to confront the family he went halfway around the world to get away from - particularly his mother, Madeline (Sharon Gless) who couldn't be happier to have her son back in town.

Created and written by Matt Nix, Burn Notice combines the best of the action/thriller elements with surprising humor and an iconic new breed of spy.

If you want to watch something that is really fun--AND informative ('Michael' gives ALL kinds of useful info, like how to shoot a drug dealer who is behind his bullet-proof door ;))--check out the USA Network on Thursday nights at 10:00.

**********

Now that we have gotten the fun, summer TV program recommendation out of the way, I will give my 'summer beach reading' recommendation. If you have not read any of the books in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, then RUN, DO NOT walk, to the nearest place to get your hands on these books. Right now, there are 13 books in the series--not counting the 'between the numbers' books--and each one is a laugh riot!

Stephanie Plum is a 'Jersey girl' who has become a bounty hunter. Of course, she has NO idea how to do her job, but that doesn't keep her out of trouble. Not only does she find herself in very funny--and dangerous--situations, she meets some of the most unforgettable and hysterical characters imaginable: Bob the dog, Lula the ex-hooker, Sally Sweet the transvestite rock musician, and, of course, her grandma. Stephanie has two love interests: the mysterious Ranger, a GOOD bounty hunter, and Joe, a cop. She has feelings for both, but can't commit.

Whenever I start to read one of these books, I find it difficult to put it down until I'm finished. Thank goodness these aren't very thick books! :) More than once during the reading of one of these books, I will find myself laughing so hard that tears stream down my face. I TRY to contain myself when K is sleeping, so as not to wake him up, but it is in vain. Fun, fun, fun--and totally to be put on the 'best books to read at the beach' list!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:53 PM

    I have yet to read any JE. Shocking, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't start reading the series until book 3 or 4 was out. Of course, I started at the beginning, but it definitely didn't take long to catch up and have to wait for the new one to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a librarian, i can tell you this series of books is IMMENSELY popular, and they are recommended to me all the time. i'm sure they are good.

    i'm not a big mystery reader, though. i will pick up the occasional Agatha Christie, but otherwise, i stick to nerdy books that teach me stuff.

    biographies, history books, that sort of thing. i am such a geek. *rolls eyes*

    i'm sure i'll read these one day. i do LOVE funny books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did i spell "immensely" correctly?

    crap.

    looking it up because that will bug me.....

    ok, yes. that's right. see? told you i was a nerd.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...