Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Second Meme--Of The Day

I typed this all out last night and got ready to post it when I discovered that I had lost my internet connection. Thankfully I didn't lose the entire post! So, here is what I was going to post last night:

Here is the meme burg tagged me with. I am to list eight things about my husband and myself. I guess I could do that--and, no I WILL NOT tell you about the last time we got frisky, no matter how much you might beg! :D

1. My husband and I have been married for 34 years on our next anniversary. It was an arranged marriage, as I was only three at the time. :D (I hope everyone knows that was a joke.)

2. K and I met on the first day of kindergarten. We went all through school together and never even thought of dating each other. I dated his best friend in high school. K went into the Navy after we graduated and the boyfriend and I broke up. K and I started dating when he came home on leave.

3. K was on leave and came to pick me up from work—several months after we began dating. (I use the term ‘dating’ for lack of a better word—our actual dating was more of a correspondence, as he was away being a sailor.) We were sitting in front of my parents' house when he said, "I think we should get married." I thought he was joking and said, "Sure, why not." Then he pulled out the ring--I almost fainted. This was only a year after we graduated.

4. We planned on getting married during the Thanksgiving weekend (five months after he proposed,) but he couldn't get leave. I called to change the date with the pastor and talked to his wife. When I said we needed to get married earlier, she stopped me and asked--very sternly--"And what is the reason for this?" When I started to explain, and the explanation DIDN'T include an unexpected pregnancy, she cut me off and asked what date we wanted instead. We got married on October 6.

5. The pastor called me by the wrong name when he pronounced us husband and wife. I always told K that this could be a legal loophole if I ever decided I didn't want to be married to him anymore.

6. Both of us would not have been surprised if we could not have had children. I had been exposed to quite a number of x-rays in my young life and the places he worked on the ship were not very good for fertility. Surprisingly, the thing that could have screwed up my chances to get pregnant was something altogether different--my endometriosis.

7. The closest we have come to divorce was during the times we were having problems with the girls. Not only could we never come to an agreement as to how to handle things, but the problems were so big and insurmountable that we each just retreated into ourselves. Not a good practice. We still don’t talk much about what we went through.

8. We have so little in common that I wonder how we ever have stayed together. When we first got married, I was a huge hockey fan. (Surprise.) I wound up watching too many games by myself, so I gave up--K wasn't as interested in hockey as I was. Several years later, K's mother started talking to him about the Wings and he started watching again. I was pissed off because he would do for his mother what he wouldn't do for me, so I boycotted the sport for far too many years. When I realized just how much I missed hockey, I became a rabid fan. I think he is pleased that I know more about the team than some of the people at work. And I think he will help me realize my next dream--to see, in person, a Red Wing game at the Joe Louis Arena. Or at the Xcel Center--I don't care. :)

And even though I have done my list of eight, I will say this: the years have been tough, but we have been tougher. I guess we never even dreamt that there was anything like divorce in our lives, so it wasn't a real big consideration. And the 'empty nest' years are proving to be WAY better than the years before we had kids. :)

I'm not going to tag anyone for this--I will leave it up to my readers to decide if they want to or not.

4 comments:

  1. And even though I have done my list of eight, I will say this: the years have been tough, but we have been tougher.

    Brilliant.. That's why I tagged you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. 34 years and you haven't killed him? You are my idod!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. burg: Glad you enjoyed!

    Ann(ie): It is true that he still lives because of my benevolence, but I DO have an extremely wonderful fantasy life! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:07 AM

    My hubs was a sailor, too... :)

    That's a neat post. What's that line, "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger"... well, I haven't killed him and he hasn't killed me and together we've gotten through some pretty rough times. We're at 27 and counting - as of TODAY. I figure 34 will come just as quickly. Good for you.

    Oh, and the empty nest thing? Seeing as I have OCS (only child syndrome) it works pretty well for me. My Hubs figures he's lucky HE gets to hang around... lol

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...