Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dying To Get Better

So, I finally made my decision. Today I gave myself my first injection of Enbrel--and I did very well, indeed. I never thought I would be able to actually come anywhere close to my skin with a syringe, but I did. Okay, so it was an epi-pen, but still...

I took six months to do research and think about using this medication. I went back and forth and asked for guidance from a lot of people. My internist isn't COMPLETELY onboard with this--he likens using the Enbrel to killing a mosquito with a flyswatter--but he will honor what I want. When I told him how much my psoriasis affects my lifestyle, he reluctantly agreed that I probably should try this. I have high hopes that things will go well for me.

I will have to be careful from now on when it comes to being around people--if there is someone who is sick, I will have to stay away. This makes it that much more difficult to see the grandchildren--they seem to ALWAYS be sick. (Of course, with six kids and most of them in school, they always are being exposed to one thing or another.) This is something that I will worry about until the first time I get sick and see how I do. But, I won't TRY to get sick just to test things.

My next appointment with the dermatologist is in three months--this is about how long it will take to see how well the Enbrel is working and whether or not I will continue to use it. I am hoping things will go a lot faster than that--but, then, I AM impatient. Until then, I will be injecting myself twice a week and hoping I don't have any horrifying side effects!

7 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well with it. I had a good friend years ago with a really severe case and there was really nothing he could do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you take immunity boosters like C, Zinc, or some other supplement, or would that do any good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RT: I think what helped me make up my mind was hearing about people that are actually being helped by it right now. My youngest knows someone who has been on it for several years and he is doing well. And I am lucky because I am NOT in the severe category right now, so if things don't go well, I should be no worse off than I am now. At least, I'm hoping!

    burg: That is something I will have to look into. I have questions, so I guess I WILL have to call the support hotline. They should be better able to answer ALL of my questions than the dr's office can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this works. Our minister has psoriasis and has a lot of problems. He's looking into treatments now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Of course, I will keep everyone updated on my progress--I don't seem to be able to keep ANYTHING a secret! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, sue!!!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...